We are searching for a Director of Engineering to build, direct and retain a team responsible for the design, development and production transfer of custom RF and microwave components and subsystems for the Defense and Space markets. Manage new product development to meet customer requirements and Company manufacturing guidelines. Position responsible for technical support from bid and proposal phase through full rate production.
Selected applicant will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES:
· Oversee design and development of complex RF and Microwave products to specification, schedule and cost targets
· Work in collaboration with Operations, implementing design to cost (DTC) and design to manufacturing (DFM) processes
· Support new product bid and proposal efforts for the BU
· Define and manage budgetary objectives for approved R&D activities
· Monitor, report on and drive continual improvement towards key metrics
· Develop and implement procedures and design guidelines for department
· Provide technical guidance to design staff. Identify skills and capabilities needed to achieve current and future product engineering needs.
· Provide input into the division technology roadmap and strategies.
· Ensure timely resolution of technical issues by implementing best-available solutions. Reconcile customer specification desires with internal design rules, capabilities and limitations.
· Establishes Strategic Plans and Objectives. Makes final decisions on administration of operational matters. Ensures effective achievement.
· Works on extremely complex problems. Exercises judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Ensures budgets and schedules meet corporate requirements.
· Interactions normally involve controversial situations, negotiations or influencing and persuading other senior managers.
· Directs and controls the activities of a broad functional area of the company through direct and indirect management reports.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS :
Fifteen (15) years of related experience in Electrical Engineering including designing for military environment compliance within the Defense and/or Aerospace Industry, including 3 –5 years as a department head preferred; Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering related field, required; MBA, a plus;
Understands the dynamics of change. Can anticipate, recognize and manage change issues. Challenges the status quo and guides others through changes.
Identifies development needs and makes plans to address them. Supports others career goals and promotes developmental activities. Recognizes the need for planned succession and the avoidance of risk.
Can motivate and provide direction, at the higher levels providing a clear vision. Knows how to get the best from others. Is able and willing to take unpopular decisions. Commands respect and generates enthusiasm. Communicates well to all levels of staff.
Recognizes when a decision is required. Understands how to collect the facts, review options and make well communicated and timely decisions. Can make decisions under pressure and with incomplete data if needed.
Understands the need to anticipate and address potential conflict at the individual, team or project level, does not avoid difficult situations, settles issues quickly.
Knows how to direct, motivate, measure and manage others. Sets clear, stretching and appropriate objectives. Provides fair, robust feedback and takes timely remedial action if needed. Delegates appropriately and does not abrogate.
Knows how to build and manage effective teams. Creates a strong team spirit. Assigns tasks appropriately to team members. Values diversity, using different talents and attributes to best advantage.
If you are an individual with a disability which requires assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can accommodate your situation by contacting HR at 858-505-3400.
Cobham Defense Electronics is Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
EEO/AA M/F/D/V ##
Remec Defense & Space - 23 months ago