Director of Finance and Administration
Common Sense Media is the leading independent, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology.
We reach over 70 million homes through our partnerships with Comcast, DirecTV, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Netflix, Yahoo!, Disney, Best Buy, Verizon, AT&T Mobility, MTV and tens of thousands of schools through our Digital Citizenship Curriculum program and has a respected voice on Capitol Hill as we strive to protect kids' online privacy. We are headquartered in San Francisco, CA and have offices in New York City, Washington, DC, and Los Angeles as well as Program Managers in Chicago, Omaha, Denver, and Maine, 85 employees, and a budget of $16 million. We are well funded through a sustainable mix of philanthropic income (individual contributions, corporate and private foundations, and event income) and earned income.
We are looking for a Director of Finance and Administration that has deep nonprofit accounting experience and is a CPA that has worked in public accounting for a minimum of 5 years, preferably servicing a mix of for profit and nonprofit clients.
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for:
The Director of Finance and Administration works collaboratively with the Executive Team and with all Directors and Managers throughout all departments in the organization. This role requires a balance of excellent mentoring, management and communication skills, flexibility (as we are a creative, driven, and entrepreneurial organization that works in a rapidly changing environment), and thrives on working in a fun, collaborative, and creative environment.
- Managing the day-to-day accounting and monthly reporting activities, including processing of contributions, grants, and pledges, grants management and reporting, invoicing of corporate partners, accounts receivable and collection management, development of budgets for grant proposals, and accounts payable
- The preparation of all of the audit and Form 990 schedule. Main contact with the auditors and tax department.
- Drafting of the monthly financials statements and assisting with reporting to the finance committee
- Assisting the VP of Finance and Administration with the annual budget process
- Mentoring and management of 3 accounting personnel (Accounting Manager and 2 staff accountants) as well as the Office Manager
- Maintaining, monitoring, and improving accounting procedures and internal controls
- Drafting and review of contract and consulting agreements
- Review of the payroll and 401(k) submissions from the HR Department. Serves as backup for the payroll and 401(k) function.
- Office management, purchasing, and facilities, including opening new offices. Working in conjunction with HR and the attorneys for all new locations.
- Tax filings - such as 1099s, sales and use returns, personal property taxes
- Working with our Labyrinth (our consulting firm) on the annual applications necessary to solicit funds nationally.
The position requires:
We will consider candidates outside the California area and provide a reimbursement up to $7,500 for qualified moving expenses.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a Director of Finance and Administration of a nonprofit with at budget of at least $10 million dollars per year AND a CPA with at least 5 years working in public accounting, preferably as a manager of both for profit and nonprofit organizations, are required for this position.
- A four year degree in Accounting is required - MBA is a plus
- Experience being in charge of the audit preparation and Form 990 preparation and main contact for the auditors and tax preparers for at minimum of 5 audits
- Experience growing an organization internationally is a plus
- Experience with MIP is a plus
- Experience preparing and reviewing payroll. Experience with ADP's Workforce Now product is a plus
- Experience drafting and reviewing contracts and consulting agreements is required
- Experience working with attorneys regarding contracts and HR related issues is required
- At least 5 years experience managing an accounting team is required
- Demonstrated knowledge of revenue recognition rules for nonprofit and for profit accounting required
- Demonstrated knowledge of IRS rules and regulations regarding contributed income and 401(k) plans
Common Sense Media Inc. - 4 months ago
Common Sense Media is the nation's leading nonpartisan organization dedicated to improving the impact of media and entertainment on kids and...