Director of Finance and Operations
Creative Commons is a global nonprofit organization that enables knowledge sharing and creativity through its legal and technical tools. We're looking for a Director of Finance and Operations who has strong financial management credentials, experience in operations, and engaging interpersonal skills to help our organization to achieve its mission.
The Director of Finance and Operations is an exempt full-time position reporting to the CEO and will be responsible for the organization's financial matters, supervision of human resources, and general administration of the organization. S/he will work independently, oversee staff, and function as a key member of the senior leadership team and advisor to the CEO with respect to the organization's financial and operational issues.
Desired Skills & Technical Proficiencies:
- Manage CC's accounting, financial and reporting requirements, including day-to-day accounting transactions, periodic financial and management reporting, and all other financial, treasury, tax, and audit requirements.
- Maintain a structure of compliant and robust financial policies and internal controls over financial accounting and reporting, which are effective in producing sound, accurate financial data as well as appropriate levels of disclosure for external reporting.
- Direct financial and business planning, human resources, purchasing, facilities, and other operational areas.
- Coordinate cross-functional components of the audit, budgeting, forecasting, and accounting for operating activities.
- Generate financial reports, budgets, and forecasts for management and the Board of Directors.
- Provide input and support as needed for the activities of the Board of Directors' Audit Committee.
- Oversee all human resources activities including staffing, benefits, payroll, recordkeeping & compliance, performance management, and employee relations.
- Ensure that annual benefit plan negotiations, insurance coverage procurement, performance and compensation reviews, and ongoing payroll and contracting activities are fiscally sound, timely, and compliant.
- Support daily operational structure; oversee facility, organization of files, and record storage.
- Coordinate review of contract, confidentiality, and consulting agreements with the Legal department.
Desired Education and Experience:
- In depth understanding of accounting processes, from basic transactions to financial and management reporting.
- Experience with and a strong understanding of non-profit financial obligations; public support test rules, 990 filings, and similar processes unique to 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Ability to perform basic transactions of all cash & banking, account payables, grants and other receivables, fixed and other assets, accruals, payroll, expense and incomes.
- Knowledge should include appropriate monthly and periodic close techniques and methodologies
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles preferably with an emphasis in nonprofit revenue recognition
- Knowledge of accounting for foreign operations, including FX accounting
- Experience managing and coordinating non-profit audits with domestic and foreign operations and multiple income streams
- Understanding of A-133 audit issues and government grants
- Experience managing banking and treasury relationships
- In-depth working knowledge of QuickBooks. Must be able to exhibit the ability to use, process, and manage the software application (nonprofit version)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel including pivot tables, Vlookups, and macros
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and presentation effectiveness
- Excellent leadership and management skills required along with a demonstrated ability to collaborate across multiple functions
- Demonstrated excellence in independent management of complex projects
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment with a high degree of flexibility
- CPA certification and/or 4 year undergraduate degree in Finance/Accounting
- 5+ years experience in nonprofit accounting, including grant accounting, job costing, compliance, and reporting
- 2+ years experience leading non-profit audits including IRS Form 990 preparations, and managing relationships with external auditors.
- 2+ years managing people and functions and a successful track record in human resources and staff management.
Collaborative, community-building atmosphere grounded in an environment of mutual respect and trust. The facility is an open pod setting in downtown Mountain View, California, easily accessible via car and public transportation. Amenities include a communal kitchen, free parking, laptop/desktop computer, and ergonomically conscious office supplies and space provided.
How to Apply:
Please email your cover letter and resume to " firstname.lastname@example.org " with the subject heading of " Director of Finance and Operations Application ."
idealist.org - 17 months ago