POSITION: Director of Finance
REPORTS TO: General Manager
FLSA STATUS: Salaried Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Director of Finance at the SeaGate Convention Center and Huntington Center Arena. The Director of Finance performs all aspects of the Finance Department, consistent with SMG polices by performing the following duties:
Prepares financial statements for the Client and SMG Corporate, and other financial reports, including monthly statements, Annual Budget and Annual Report.
- Assists in the development and implementation of facility goals and priorities relating to financial management, budget, accounting, purchasing, and/or payroll in compliance with State and Federal law, and SMG policies and procedures.
- Monitors SMG compliance with all financial provisions of the management contract.
- Maintains contact with SMG's Risk Management Department and Insurance broker for coordination of appropriate coverage by filling out renewal questionnaires.
- Reviews all contracts for client, events, subcontractors, food and beverage or concessionaires.
- Reviews and/or prepares event settlements.
- Reviews and executes all checks and deposits; reviews daily cash receipts and disbursements.
- Monitors and projects daily cash flow; invests excess cash as needed via sweep account.
- Reviews all purchasing of capital assets, office supplies and facility supplies.
- Develops and implements all financial reporting, including:
Directs the installation and maintenance of accounting records to show receipts and expenditures.
Directs the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, depreciation, cost, property, and operating expenses, and insurance records.
Analyzes financial performance and cost analyses for all departments; prepares monthly financial statements, recommends appropriate actions/changes in order to meet business goals.
Prepares statements and reports of estimated future costs and revenues.
Directs internal audits involving review of accounting and administrative controls.
Coordinates preparation of Client or external audit materials and financial reporting; implements recommendations of Client as requested
Coordinates year-end report of fiscal performance for the General Manager's report.
- Directs the installation and maintenance of any new accounting, timekeeping, payroll, inventory, property, and other related procedures and controls.
- Reviews financial statements with management personnel.
- Participates in union labor contract administration; maintains effective working relationship with union representatives.
- Manages the Finance and Box Office departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must have extensive knowledge of general and cost accounting. Must have excellent math skills; high aptitude for figures, excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability. Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information required. Requires ability to work flexible and extended hours, including nights, weekends and holidays, in addition to normal business hours. Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict deadlines, work under minimal supervision and must have professional attitude and appearance. Some travel is required.
Education and/or Experience:
Skills and Abilities:
- B.S. in Accounting or Finance from a four-year college or university
- 5 to 7 years experience in public accounting and/or financial management at a supervisory level or as department head
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to prioritize and to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal skills required; ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
- Ability to effectively supervise staff
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic
CPA is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision for review of statistical and other financial records and information.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration and may be sent to:
SeaGate Convention Centre and Huntington Center
401 Jefferson Avenue, Toledo, OH 43604
No Phone Calls
SMG is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/W/V/D