Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.6 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
By mid-2013 most of our international programmes will be delivered through a merged operation with 14 000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) in South Sudan the Director of Finance shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Office (CO). The Director of Finance in his/her capacity is responsible for finance administration, fiscal management, grant management, and financial and grant reporting, in both emergency and development programming contexts
Qualifications and experience
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- A minimum of 7 years management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, of which three at a management level within the finance department of a national or international organization
- Experience of responding to emergencies whilst continuing development work
- CPA or equivalent degree (CA, ACMA, ACCA) strongly recommended
- Excellent understanding of business and financial planning including strategic modelling
- Excellent analytical skills - the ability to analyse complex financial data and design and produce effective management information
- Excellent experience of budgeting and budget management
- Excellent understanding of financial systems and procedures
- Strong business acumen and the ability to contribute to strategic decisions
- Excellent experience of computerised accounts packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience of general administration work
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload and to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to build a small, proactive team, motivating staff and working collaboratively with colleagues and providing support and advice as necessary
- Willingness and ability to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- A full appreciation of the value of co-operation, both internationally and within a team environment
- Understanding of Save the Children's vision and mission and a commitment to its objectives and values
- Written and verbal fluency in English
Please note that the closing date for applications is 14th May 2013
For further information on this role, please see our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
idealist.org - 10 months ago