Reporting to the CFO, the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis will lead all aspects of analysis and reporting on client, lawyer, office and practice group performance and profitability. Specific areas include the development and maintenance of planning and budgeting systems, analysis and interpretation of trends requiring management’s attention, the preparation of financial and management reports and procedures, and the presentation of findings and specific recommendations to senior management. The Director of Financial Planning & Analysis must be a proven leader and manager, and is expected to develop a cohesive, high-performing team.
Lead and manage the budgeting and forecast processes and systems. Collaborate closely with all staff function to develop budgets and forecasts.
Provide advice to management in the development of budgets and assumptions, and assess strategic issues to be incorporated into the annual budget and planning process.
Prepare, analyze and present periodic financial reports to senior management and other stakeholders.
Enhance the quality and accessibility of management reporting, including provision of insightful analysis and commentary as a basis for further action.
Improve the efficiency of report production, working with relevant functions to enhance the quality and reliability of processes and tools.
Lead projects and provide mentorship to team members.
Review the work of team members to ensure completeness and accuracy.
Institute best-in-class work processes to ensure best use of resources, reproducibility of data and analysis, and superb customer service.
Prepare the finance department’s annual budget and variance analysis.
Hire, train, and develop team members.
Set direction and mobilize a department to meet common, clearly defined goals; use knowledge of employees' strengths and weaknesses to provide appropriate mix of autonomy and control to achieve strong results while also allowing for development of skills
Work effectively with direct reports to provide guidance/coaching through real-time feedback during the course of day-to-day interactions as well as assist with longer term career aspirations; complete review process in a thoughtful and timely manner; ensure development plans are in place to monitor staff make appropriate progress against stated developmental goals; monitor difficult performance situations and works with Chief to take appropriate action.
Provide challenging "stretch" assignments to those who are ready and also devote appropriate time to individuals who need help in reaching their potential; complete review process in a thoughtful and timely manner; develops and monitors detailed development plans to ensure staff make appropriate progress against stated developmental goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration, MBA or CPA preferred.
- 15+ years demonstrated track record of performance in progressively senior finance management roles.
- Solid experience in interacting productively with firm leadership and key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience success in process improvement, system enhancement, and efficiency gains.
- Superb customer service orientation.
- Working knowledge of computer software programs, such as Word, Excel, Power Point in a web-based environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, writing and presentation skills, and coaching and mentoring skills.
- High level of skill with interpersonal relationships and communications, both individually and in group settings.
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Must be a self-starter who understands the details within a much larger content.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
- Ability to work in a teamwork/collaborative style and environment and “lead from behind.”
- Creative and flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities in a fast-paced environment; ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple, detailed tasks.
- Team-oriented person who can share information, goals, opportunities, successes and failures with the appropriate parties.
- Ability to organize, plan and carry out multiple related activities.
- Must pay attention to details and have the ability to follow up and follow through.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-office environment.
Normal office environment. Incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
For consideration, please include a cover letter with your application. Thank you.
Ropes & Gray - 19 months ago