Love to ski? Love to be on the water? Vermont Teddy Bear Company is perfectly positioned on the shores of Lake Champlain and close to some of the best Ski Resorts New England has to offer! Located in Shelburne, Vermont, just outside of Burlington, The Vermont Teddy Bear Company is a growing organization consisting of multiple brands and channels.
The Bear Crew is in search of a Director of Human Resources who will be directly responsible for the overall strategy, development, management and administration of Human Resources. HR specific oversight includes benefit and compensation programs; management training and development; internal communication; succession planning; recruitment and retention; organizational development; performance management, plans and terminations; safety, wellness, and policy development.
• Integral part of Extended Leadership Team providing proactive direction, leadership and guidance with a focus on Human Resources and internal communication.
• Supports the overall strategy and vision of Vermont Teddy Bear. Translates Company strategic and tactical business plans into departmental Action Plans.
• Actively participate and engage organization in creative recruitment strategies (including seasonal recruitment) within the organization to maximize resources, efficiency and profitability.
• Leader in developing and supporting ongoing performance management for Bear Crew. Supports management in providing ongoing performance feedback and yearly performance summaries.
• Coaches and mentors managers, supervisors and Bear Crew on Human Resources issues, including professional and organizational development.
• Creates and fosters an organizational culture that strives for excellence by nurturing and developing a culture of high performing individuals and teams.
• Oversees benefits administration, recommends and evaluates enhancements to the benefits package; balancing employees needs with VTB’s financial strength.
Responsible for overseeing the appropriate administration of the company’s benefit programs, including but not limited to:
o Maintains appropriate Benefit Plan documentation
o Spearheads the renewal process and conducts annual open enrollment process
o Manages and serves as back up to the Benefits Administrator
o Maintains full knowledge of related areas of compliance
• Manages compensation internally to be regulatory compliant and to meet overall organizational staffing and business needs.
• In partnership with department leaders, oversee the wellness and safety of the Bear Crew by developing and maintaining procedures to reduce the risk of work related injuries and promote health, well being and productivity of the Bear Crew.
• Develops performance review processes and improves policies in coordination with departmental managers. Communicates changes in policies to managers, supervisors and Bear Crew.
• Responsible for knowledge of employment laws and complies with those laws. Educates and guides managers and supervisors on applicability of employment laws.
• Oversee internal communications through all mediums including the Bear Facts newsletter, and VTB intranet to maximize efficiency and productivity and ensure compliance with Company policy and Brand position.
• Advise and direct supervisors on employment related legal requirements including but not limited to: equal opportunity employment; harassment prevention; Federal and State laws and privacy issues.
• Oversee administration of Payroll to service Bear Crew’s pay-related needs including benefit integration.
Qualifications: Strong verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal, and presentation skills, problem solving and critical thinking skills. Must have a thorough knowledge of, and be able to interpret and apply employment law to Vermont Teddy Bear. Strong computer skills and the ability to drive technology throughout HR practices and service to managers, supervisors and the Bear Crew. Must be a strong collaborator and team player.
Organizational Leadership and Navigation
Human Resource Technical Expertise
Physical and Mental abilities: The Director of Human Resources must have the physical and mental abilities to perform the essential job duties listed above. However, reasonable accommodation may be extended to help perform those duties. The job entails long periods of sitting at a desk. There may be prolonged periods of computer work. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. Must have the ability to exercise confidentiality and attention to detail. Must have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels in the organization. Must be able to manage high levels of stress and periods of intense employee relations and needs, particularly during Peak periods.
Education / Experience:
Education: Bachelors degree in Human Resources or related field. SPHR preferred.
Experience: Minimum of seven to ten years progressive management experience in Human Resources and Organizational Development preferred or an equivalent level of education and experience. Experience with exposure to all aspects of Human Resources is preferred.
The Vermont Teddy Bear Company - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard