The Director of Humanities (DOH) ensures that all Mastery Charter students, across all schools, produce breakthrough results in 7 th – 12 th grade reading, writing, English, history and Spanish as measured by State, SAT, AP and Mastery Benchmark interim assessments. The DOE reports directly to the Chief Academic Officer and provides support to Principals and all Mastery Charter Schools
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive system-wide success on the PSSA, SAT, AP, Mastery Benchmark assessments and other valued English Language Arts (ELA), History and Spanish measures.
- Develop and implement skills-based ELA, History and Spanish curricula, assessments and instruction.
- Develop methods to integrate reading and writing strategies across the curriculum.
- Develop new ELA, History and Spanish leaders within the organization.
- Develop and implement ELA, History and Spanish teacher professional development.
- Monitor and respond to campus-based and organization-wide ELA, History and Spanish assessment data.
- Identify and develop systems for capturing, codifying, and sharing materials and best practices within and across campuses.
- Results-oriented individual – a flexible thinker willing to do “whatever it takes.”
- Belief in the Mastery Charter School mission and instructional model.
- A ferocious desire to provide our students with a world class education.
- Strong knowledge of English teaching methods, skill-based reading and writing instruction and intervention strategies.
- Familiarity with common national reading/English programs and products.
- Familiarity with PA State reading/writing standards as well as SAT and AP English programs.
- Familiarity with reading intervention and special education programming.
- Strong administrative background that reflects effective leadership, management and communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with strong analytical writing skills.
- Zest and a sense of humor.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, English education or related program.
- Certified in educational administration, supervision or similar program.
- Five years’ experience in teaching, teacher coaching and curriculum/assessment writing.
- Demonstrated high level measurable success working with urban youth.
Physical Requirements: Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms and office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing.
Mastery Charter Schools - 13 months ago
Mastery is a growing non-profit charter school network recognized nationally for our work in school turnarounds and dramatic student...