Meet Virgin America
Virgin America is a brand new airline dedicated to making flying good again. Virgin America incorporates the Virgin Brand’s world-renowned customer focus and distinctive style, to create a high-value, low-fare airline that’s reinventing domestic flying through award-winning service and innovative amenities. Are you Virgin enough? Virgin America loves team members with the thirst and creativity to make this the most wowed airline in the sky. In return, we promise to make this a company where inspired people like you will always thrive.
Virgin America’s Inflight team is a group of energetic, passionate, focused, and flexible people who have fun at what they do. Our role is to provide our guests with personalized service dedicated to ensuring that the entire award winning travel experience is enjoyable and safe.
Main Purpose of the Role
The Director of Inflight & Catering will be responsible for the building and maintaining relationships with the Inflight teammates and other departments and to lead the Inflight team. This position will also be responsible for the design of onboard catering standards and compliance of catering contracts, as well as overseeing the company wide uniform program for all teammates.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- The Director of Inflight & Catering will report directly to the Senior Vice President, People & Inflight and the Senior Vice President, Flight Operations. Additionally, this individual will be responsible for the following:
- Build relationships to promote and maintain Inflight teammate morale and engagement.
- Ensure that ITM Advisory teams have a voice and process to address teammates’ issues.
- Work with FAA agencies and Cabin Safety Inspector on regulatory issues while ensuring safety and regulatory compliance.
- Develop and be accountable for Inflight Departmental Operational policies and procedures to ensure a safe and efficient airline operation.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge in the following areas: Company policy and procedures, Virgin America FAM, Emergency Response Manual, Inflight Training Program, applicable parts of the GOM and FAA Regulations.
- Supervise the maintenance of the Flight Attendant Manual and coordinate the integration of other manuals and memos to comply with regulatory, safety, and operational changes.
- Coordinate Inflight Services activities with other Company departments to ensure the highest standards, safety, and efficiency of airline operations.
- Oversee the recruitment and selection of Inflight teammates.
- Ensures that all Inflight teammates comply with Company policies and procedures and FAA regulations.
- Participate in the decisions of hiring, promoting and terminating of Inflight teammates.
- Monitor operational performance on a daily basis.
- Develop budget for department.
- Assist in the establishment of crew staffing levels and reviews crew utilization.
- Develop a balanced program of discipline and for conducting investigations and interviews when violations of company policy or federal regulations occur.
- Establish, evaluate, maintain and administer all standards of work performance, appearance, dependability, attendance, conduct and safety for the Inflight department.
- Interface with Guest Experience Learning Manager to ensure that all crew training curriculum is integrated and consistent with Virgin America’s approved/accepted manual.
Professional Experience Require
- 10+ years of management and supervisory experience in leading successful teams, excellent leadership, interpersonal, communications (both written and oral) and organizational skills.
- Inflight background/experience.
- Extensive background in teammate relations and engagement.
- Previous airline experience and working with a large work force.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, lead, coach, and develop a team is absolutely critical.
- Natural feel for and passion towards exceptional service.
- Ability to gauge impact of expenditures on guest satisfaction.
- Keen understanding of and fit with the Virgin America brand and culture.
- Strong communication skills and ability to multitask.
Job Requirements (e.g., travel, must be able to lift 50 pounds, etc.)
- Extensive travel will be required.
Professional Certifications and Education Required
- Four-year college degree, a minimum.
Virgin America - 20 months ago
An offspring of Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group, Virgin America took flight just as high fuel prices and a recession rocked the...