There is a community that exists inside our organization. Working as a team at Ashford University, we build partnerships while providing opportunities for students and employees to grow and become their best. We nurture our employees and strive to promote from within.
Ashford University’s vision is to provide high-quality, accessible and affordable degree programs that meet the diverse educational needs of individuals pursuing informed personal goals and success in their professions and communities.
Ashford University was founded on the principle that education improves lives. Ashford University employees witness such change every day. Ashford University is doing well by doing good, and we value the opportunity we've been given.
The Director of Institutional Research position is a full-time employment opportunity. This position works closely with the AVP of IR to develop and maintain departmental structures, processes, and technologies that improve efficiency, quality, and timeliness of deliverables. In conjunction with the AVP of IR, this position supervises, trains, and mentors IR staff and, along with the IR Director for Reporting, assures training and continuous professional development of new staff. In concert with the AVP and IR Director for Reporting, the IR Director coordinates data extraction and oversees analytical projects, and represents the IR department with AU, and external constituencies as assigned by the AVP.
Essential Job Duties:
- Oversee the institutional research reporting functions and analytical projects to ensure accuracy, validity, and appropriateness of work provided to Ashford University internal and external stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the AVP and IR Director for Reporting, develop and maintain infrastructure for efficiency and effectiveness of department level processes, technology, and projects.
- In collaboration with the IR Director for Reporting, develop and manage the reporting structure and processes for the documentation of standard operating procedures, train and mentor less experienced team members and conduct quality assurance (testing and maintenance).
- In collaboration with the IR Director for Reporting, improve and manage the process of coordinating and responding to internal and external requests for data to use in conducting informed organizational and institutional planning, evaluation, operational improvements, predictive analysis and decision making.
- Enhance internal and external reporting and analytical capabilities through improved data transformation and management. Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Coordinate with other departments to establish the data infrastructure needed for decision making as well as analytical and evaluation projects.
- Keep up-to-date on changes in technologies and their potential application to unit and department needs.
- Conduct research on key higher education issues that are relevant to AU goals and initiatives.
- Interpret and assure quality of results obtained from a variety of techniques, ranging from simple data aggregation to data mining and inferential statistics.
- Oversee the collection, analysis, and interpretation of large volumes of selected institutional data, and develop user-friendly dissemination formats appropriate for various audiences.
- Provide analytical support, consultation, and advice in data, analysis, and use of data to IR staff and AU internal constituencies.
- Provide leadership and direction for staff and work collaboratively with researchers, evaluators, and planners within the unit and across AU divisions.
- Manage the quality and efficiency of work of individuals that report directly to the position.
- Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
- Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
- Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
- Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
- Leading Change: This competency serves as the foundation of the Leadership competency model as it aligns the behaviors and characteristic of the individuals with the organization’s mission and core values. Inherent in this competency is the individual’s ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve organizational framework; to create a work environment that encourages innovation; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity.
- Leading People: The second leadership competency involves the ability to maximize human capital by fostering an environment that encompasses the organization’s culture and execute the mission, goals and core values.
- Business Acumen: This competency involves the ability to understand and administer business information cross departmentally in a manner that inspires confidence, instills trust and accomplishes the organization’s goals.
- Building Communication: The fourth leadership competency encompasses written and verbal communications of facts and ideas as well as developing a professional network inside and outside the organization.
- Driving Results: The final competency stresses accountability and continuous improvement through decision making, execution and producing results.
Looking for additional insight on this specific role? Not sure if the job is for you, but know someone who sounds like a perfect fit? Email us at: TalentAcquisition@bpiedu.com and someone with the inside track would be more than happy to be a resource for you!
- Four or more years experience in a leadership role in an institutional research office.
- Experience with preparing and submitting external reporting, including IPEDS.
- Ability to develop processes and procedures to ensure quality of the data.
- Experience determining user requirements and providing detailed work specifications and documentation.
- Three years experience in supervision and providing quality control on the work of analysts and finding methods to create more efficient work processes
- Demonstrated expert level spreadsheet and database skills, as well as high level word processing skills.
- A solid understanding of statistical analysis using descriptive and inferential statistics, including data mining, and the use of any one of the following statistical packages: SAS, SPSS, JMP or R.
- SQL coding experience using various type of joins, stored procedures, views and functions, preferably in SQL Server 2008.
- Facility with and knowledge of a wide range of technology applications relevant to the work of the Planning and Effectiveness unit (of which IR is a department.)
- Ability to organize and present complex, technical information that is understandable to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Keen attention to detail with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to regularly work independently utilizing discretion and independent judgment over matters of significance in a fast paced environment and possess the reasoning, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills necessary to work with teams of various university constituents. An exceptionally high degree of responsibility, creativity and initiative is required.
- Ability to work as a team player, maintain a high level of confidentiality, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, maintain a high level of accuracy, and work cooperatively with a variety of individuals.
Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended.
- Master’s degree or higher in an appropriate social science or quantitative discipline required, with a minimum of five years of progressive work experience on data analysis, reporting procedures and/or assessment methods.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
Our Parent Organization: Bridgepoint Education has built its corporate culture around its core values; ethics, integrity, service and accountability. Ethics is a central part of employee training and is reinforced on a daily basis. Integrity in the way we treat both internal and external constituents is paramount to Bridgepoint Education's success. Service at the highest level is expected and recognized. Last, accountability toward one's co-workers, students and role within the organization has allowed Bridgepoint Education to cultivate a high-quality management team.
By providing both online and campus-based programs at Ashford University and University of the Rockies, Bridgepoint Education offers access to both traditional and adult learners seeking high quality, convenient higher education degree programs.
We offer our team competitive benefits (M/V/D/401k/ESPP) and salaries, a safe work environment, innovative training, accelerated career advancement, the ability to take classes and programs gratis, and a collegiate and collaborative environment to work and grow in. Ashford University understands that our success depending on the development of strong leadership within the organization.
To be considered an applicant, all interested and qualified parties MUST apply through the Ashford University online employment application system.
For additional information about our University, please visit www.ashford.edu.
Ashford University is an Affirmative Action employer that provides Equal Employment Opportunity to all employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, handicap or disability, or Vietnam-era or special veteran status. This policy is established and administered in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Wait, there’s more… For more cool up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @BPEdCareers and @AshfordUCareers
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...