Director of Internal Audit
New Jersey City University (NJCU) is establishing a Director of Internal Audit position to develop and perform comprehensive financial, operational and compliance audits to assess the adequacy and effectiveness of the Universitys internal controls. This position has a reporting structure to the President and the Board of Trustees, and works collaboratively with the Vice President for Administration & Finance, including receiving project and institutional direction on assignments and key accountabilities.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Adds value to and improves NJCUs operations by planning and conducting financial, compliance, IT and operational audits. Analyzes a wide variety of technical and complex processes and recommends improvements in efficiency and compliance with regulations. Recommends feasible solutions and operational changes. Facilitates the communication of audit results through written reports and oral presentations to management. Facilitates the enterprise risk management, compliance and ethics program of the University.
1. Develops an annual or rolling risk assessment and audit plan.
2. Performs financial, compliance, IT and operational internal audits including planning and development of audit programs.
3. Performs audit testing and identifies appropriate controls and key business risks; evaluates the adequacy of the controls designed to manage those risks; discusses strengths and opportunities for improvement with management and develops recommendations for improvement.
4. Analyzes and appraises complex operational processes and provides an objective opinion on the efficiency and effectiveness of the operations and notes any process improvement opportunities.
5. Prepares organized, accurate and competent work papers ensuring that documentation clearly supports the conclusions regarding each audit objective.
6. Provides information and sound recommendations to management, prepares written reports and works with management to obtain agreement on action plans to address audit issues; makes presentations to management, as needed.
7. Provides training to managers on internal controls, business risks, fraud and other related topics.
8. Informs the President and institutional key leaders of audit progress; manages the audit so that time is efficiently used, deadlines and budgets are met, and departmental quality assurance standards are maintained.
9. Performs other duties as assigned, including involvement with departmental and institutional improvement teams and task forces, training initiatives, and other program support activities.
10. Serves as the institutional risk management policy coordinator with responsibility for facilitating and implementing the Enterprise Risk Management program. The internal audit director will not be assigned ownership of individual risks.
11. Serves as the primary coordinator for implementation of the compliance and ethics program to include oversight of the compliance and ethics hotline.
12. Applies internal auditing standards and techniques and demonstrates project management skills.
13. Knowledge of and compliance with the Institute of Internal Auditors Code of Ethics.
14. Manages and/or conducts special investigations as assigned/required.
15. Implements strategic initiatives and direction as provided by the President or designee and Board of Trustees.
16. Works directly with institution senior leadership to communicate audit findings and investigate conflicts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE:
To submit an application please email: firstname.lastname@example.org and include your cover letter with salary requirements and resume as attachments.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in auditing and higher education or other relevant experience
- Certified in at least one of the following: Certified Public Accounting (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information System Auditor (CISA), and/or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Thorough knowledge of internal auditing standards and techniques and Enterprise Risk Management methodologies
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, to interact effectively and professionally with faculty, staff and the public
- Knowledge of and compliance with the Institute of Internal Auditors Code of Ethics and International Professional Practices Framework
- Knowledge of leading-edge internal audit activity practices, audit techniques and automated audit tools
- Strong analytical skills
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently or as part of a team and make decisions with minimal supervision
- Able to maintain positive team relationships by demonstrating and supporting initiative, willingness to learn, flexibility, respect, cooperation and commitment to the success of the Internal Audit Department
- Works well under pressure, excellent time management and organization skills
An Equal Opportunity Employer
New Jersey City University - 4 months ago