Performs broad legal assignments that are varied and complex in character. Acts as counsel to leadership staff and Board of Directors, as necessary. Makes recommendations based on legal analysis which may have an important bearing on the conduct of company’s business. Prepares and reviews contracts and other legal documents and correspondence . Operates under broad general supervision with wide latitude for individual judgment.
The Attorney will report directly to the CFO, and will be expected to work closely with the operating departments and other functional areas for which he or she will be assigned responsibility. The individual in this position will be tasked and evaluated on the basis of his or her work with the organization’s leadership and other key employees to identify the relevant legal issues, respond appropriately, and satisfy all legal service needs within his or her areas of expertise. This individual will directly or indirectly have supervisory responsibilities for contracts and compliance activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Researches, evaluates, analyzes and interprets state and federal laws and regulations to determine impacts to organization and prepares recommendations for corporate action.
· Researches and responds to questions from company management and staff regarding statutes and regulations.
· Acts as the point of contact for inquiries/investigations/examinations by regulatory and law enforcement agencies and responds to subpoenas upon the approval of the CFO or his/her designee.
· Ensures company’s legal and contracting practices are appropriate.
· Serves as the subject matter expert regarding Healthcare reform, and related impacts to Washington Dental Service.
· Drafts/reviews corporate policy as appropriate to ensure compliance with federal & state laws and regulations
· May provide supervisory as well as consultative support for the contract administration department.
· Prepares and reviews proposed contracts, leases, corporate insurance policies, business associate agreements , other formal agreements and legal instruments.
· Reviews and approves advertising copy and PR statements from a legal standpoint, as appropriate.
· Coordinates with the Chief Compliance Officer in the oversight and implementation of the Compliance Program.
· Provides day-to-day legal advice to company management and staff .
· Coordinates, as requested, with outside legal counsel on regulatory or other corporate legal issues.
· Consults with senior management and Board on various other business issues.
There may be supervisory responsibilities over contract administration and compliance, dependent upon the candidate’s skills and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily . The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· A practical, proactive “can do” attitude with an ability to take initiative.
· A well-developed business sense, Ability to balance legal risks with business objectives.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills , including ability to translate complex legal and regulatory requirements into readily understandable terms.
· Proven ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, confidence presenting to senior management and the board of directors.
· Strong collaboration and relationship building skills.
· Superior legal research and analytical skills to assess state and federal laws and regulations, and determine applicability to company .
· Mature and practical , with well-developed problem solving skills.
· Computer proficiency with extensive experience with Windows Office environment.
· Flexible with ability to respond to and remain calm in a quickly changing and fast paced work environment.
· Exceptional time management skills to meet multiple project deadlines with varying completion dates, including discerning priorities and scheduling appropriately while being highly diplomatic.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
· JD degree from accredited law school . Minimum 3 to 5 years legal experience, with minimum 1 to 3 years regulatory and general corporate experience .
· General knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to healthcare, preferably within insurance industry. Detail oriented. Excellent time management, communication, decision making, presentation, writing and organization skills.
· Requires license to practice law in Washington State .
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to prepare and edit complex correspondence. Ability to effectively present information to others, including other employees, board members, external partners, consultants and vendors.
Ability to perform simple mathematical operations and understand budgets.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists . Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to find, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Washington Dental Service - 23 months ago
Washington Dental Service, a member of the Delta Dental Plans Association, is the leading dental benefits company in the state of...