The General ® Insurance, also known as Permanent General Companies, is a rapidly growing company and a leading provider of non-standard automobile insurance. Currently, we are seeking
qualified applicants for Director of Litigation and Large Loss.
We offer an employee-friendly and challenging work environment where the right candidate will learn and grow with the company.
The General ® offers a generous benefits package to its employees including medical, dental, vision and life insurance after one month of employment; health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, paid time off (vacation, sick, holidays), 401(k) participation with a matching contribution, wellness initiatives and much more!
Reporting to the Sr. VP of Claims, the Director of Litigation and Large Loss will be responsible for the operational oversight of
Litigation and Large Loss claims in all Claims branches. The Director will directly monitor certain claims to ensure that claims are executed consistently with good faith file handling and conclusion. The Director is also responsible for providing guidance on coverage interpretation, development, implementation and ongoing management of the Litigation File handling process. Will also provide external counsel, including approval of rates and litigation file handling expectations as well as bill reviews. This position
will assist Management with regulatory compliance, fair claim practice issues and contract negotiations, ensure that litigation and large loss claims are being managed in a fashion that enables Claims to meet Litigation related goals including file quality and expenses. Will review more complex cases and settle or initiate further action within approved authority limits. Essential
responsibilities will include:
- Responsibility for all legal and regulatory-related claims issues.
- Will directly monitor certain claims to ensure that claims are executed consistently, with good faith file handling requirements.
- Provide guidance, mentoring and counseling on policy and coverage interpretation.
- Provide legal analysis and opinions oncoverage issues.
- Determine if the involvement of panel counsel is necessary to assist with coverage analysis.
- Complete necessary legal research and provide legal direction on any matters relevant to claims handling; disseminate information to the claims department.
- Ensure that Claims Managers provide guidance, mentoring and counseling on litigated claims and certain casualty claims consistent with Claims Handling Guidelines.
- Provide legal advice, oversight and counsel to claims personnel.
- Assure appropriate execution of the litigation philosophy and litigation management guidelines to assure accuracy in litigation claims handling and optimization of legal expenses.
- Act as a liaison between Claims and Staff Counsel.
- Responsible for the identification, hiring and performance management of panel counsel for defense, coverage SIU and PIP specialties.
- Assure the appropriate handling of complex declaratory judgment of actions brought by or against the company, as well as determining post verdict decision and handling of appeals.
- Review and provide recommendations on file handling, including but not limited to: investigation of coverage, liability and damages; evaluation, resolution strategy and action plan(s); subrogation or investigation of suspicions claims to ensure that appropriate execution of claims handling occurs. Ensures appropriate functional areas within Claims are involved.
- Responsible for developing and implementing policy and procedures at a departmental level for the handling of litigation and large loss claims.
- Directs or assists in other projects and assignments as agreed upon with appropriate claims management.
- Identify handling trends and issues, working with the appropriate cross-functional people; develop and implement the necessary training.
- Identify and drive opportunities for litigation technology enhancements and management reporting.
- A Juris Doctorate from an accredited U.S. Law School and an active license to practice law in at least one state. Must have the ability to meet any in-house licensure requirements.
- A minimum of 10 years related work experience in a property and casualty insurance company or equivalent law firm experience focusing on insurance and/or coverage issues is required.
- A minimum of five years of Management or Supervisory experience is also required.
- Requires a high degree of initiative, mature judgment and discretion.
- The ability to proactively resolve conflicts and empathize with internal and external customers is critical.
Claims strategic and negotiation skills are critical.
- Must have demonstrable professional oral and written communication skills.
- Organization and time management skills are essential for this position.
- Must demonstrate advanced knowledge in coverage, tort, extra-contractual and insurance regulatory law.
- Must demonstrate a solid understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company; solid understanding of the functions of other departments such as Product, Policy Operations and Marketing. May assist on cross-functional projects.
- An understanding of global company knowledge, impact of decisions and leadership abilities.
Permanent General Assurance Corp. - 16 months ago