The Director of Marketing and Communications (DMC)serves as the foundation's chief marketing and communications strategist, leading the communications function to drive the mission, vision, values, and strategic goals of the organization and broaden community awareness and support.
The DMC ensures the highest level of service to, and collaboration with, internal foundation teams.
Responsibilities and Expected Outcomes:
Essential Qualifications, Credentials and Technical Skills required:
- In collaboration with the CEO, EVP, Advancement and Program teams, strengthen brand awareness, brand preference, and brand identity of the Cleveland Foundation so that donors, grantees, influencers, and other important audiences know, respect, and support the foundation.
- Develop and implement l comprehensive marketing and communication plans to support major functions (advancement, grantmaking, leadership) as well as major initiatives.
- Develop and implement marketing and communication tactics, including media relations, advertising, special events, website, Intranet, social media, print and electronic publications, speeches, videos, podcasts, blogs, etc. to ensure the foundation is reaching target audiences through a blend of communication channels.
- Manage development of content, key messages, writing, design, photography, videography, and production that go into all tactics to ensure effectiveness and quality of marketing and communication.
- With input from the CEO and other members of the executive committee, coordinate and execute the annual report (print and/or digital), annual meeting, and Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards, and other programs to showcase the Cleveland Foundation.
- With input from the management committee, manage an effective employee communications program.
Lead and supervise an internal staff of communication professionals, various communication consultants, and external partners at design, advertising and public relations firms to ensure that the communications and marketing work of the foundation is being carried out in a way that represents the strategic direction and input of the CEO and other executives at the foundation, as appropriate.
- Provide consistent developmental support and guidance to direct reports to ensure that they have the tools, information and coaching necessary to carry out their work at the highest level.
- Network with peer leaders in the field to build relationships and represent the foundation.
- Protect and enhance the reputation of the Cleveland Foundation, its board of directors, its President and CEO, and other staff members.
- With the CFO, develop, monitor and ensure compliance with annual department budget.
Proactively keep CEO and CFO apprised of any potential overruns.
- Serve as a member of the Foundation's internal management committee.
- BA/BS required, advanced degree, such as an MBA with an emphasis in marketing/communications, preferred.
- Eight to 10 years of senior-level and generalist experience in corporate or nonprofit marketing and communications.
- Collaborative approach with an emphasis on strong service.
- Strong skills in writing, editing, presenting, strategic planning, and managing people.
- Well-rounded knowledge and proficiency in media relations, marketing communication, website and interactive communication, social media, special events, advertising, electronic and print publication.
- Proven ability to successfully lead, develop and manage employees to successfully achieve collective goals and objectives.
- Ability to collaborate with others internally and externally.
- A strong networker.
- Budgeting acumen.
- Attention to detail.
- Desire to keep up with ever-changing technology and innovations in communications.
CareerBoard - 21 months ago