Job Title: Director of Membership and Annual Giving
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Location: Boston, MA
Partners In Health (“PIH”), headquartered in Boston, MA, is an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through its service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH operates sites for clinical care, research and training in 10 countries (Haiti, Peru, Russia, Boston, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Kazakhstan, Mexico, the Dominican Republic) and has a growing network of affiliated organizations and initiatives in several other countries, including Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Liberia, Guatemala, and Togo.
This is an exciting time for PIH. The organization is taking on immense challenges while its heightened visibility has brought the opportunity to influence even greater changes on the global stage. As our work continues to increase in scope and impact, PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization to join the team.
Under the direction of the Chief Development Officer, this senior Development position leads and manages all membership and activist oriented fundraising to support the mission of Partners In Health (PIH). Current number of active donors is approximately 40,000. Implement all aspects of the direct mail, telemarketing, and digital fundraising programs. Coordinate constituency building strategies. Represent the Development Department on the appropriate internal committees and with outside consultants and vendors.
- Overall responsibility for the creative development, list selection, production and distribution of direct mail appeals, in collaboration with the Manager of Annual Giving. Contribute recommendations for and coordinate development and implementation of annual direct mail and on line giving plans in coordination with the Leadership Gifts team and the Communications department, under the direction of the CDO, and consistent with PIH’s annual goals and priorities.
- Manage and coordinate production of in-house mailings including acknowledgments, stewardship packages, and general donor correspondence. Ensure that member contact and correspondence generated by membership staff is timely and professional. Develop reporting for daily, monthly, quarterly and annual program analysis.
- Partner with Manager of Annual Giving and internal communications staff to create communication strategies, solicitations, emails, websites and other collateral for membership giving programs. Work in conjunction with the Communications department on content and distribution of donor cultivation and stewardship materials, including donor newsletters. Work with Director of Development Operations in selection of audiences.
- Manage mailing lists, including rentals to and exchanges with other organizations. Optimize list availability to maximize income while minimizing donor irritation. Ensure timely updates and revisions to mailing lists. Determine need to expand list or acquire other lists; work with external broker to meet organization’s needs.
- Develop strategies for increasing traction for the major gift pipeline, including increasing average gifts, improving donor retention, and capturing prospect information. Be a leader in the evaluation and implementation of direct marketing industry best practices.
Manage the coordination and execution of all telemarketing campaigns. This includes but is not limited to vendor relationships, script development, approval of pledge reminder stock and copy, list selection, caller training, monitoring of calls and daily monitoring of results.
Monthly Giving Program
- In collaboration with the Manager of Annual Giving, responsible for the overall growth of the digital giving programs. Work with Blue State Digital, the Manager of Annual Giving and the Development Communications Specialist to execute a strategic series of online communications and solicitations in order to convert list subscribers to members and maximize online revenue from current PIH donors.
- Create and integrate electronic, telemarketing and direct mail fundraising strategies.
- Cooperate with Communications staff concerning strategies for the web engagement tool and online activist database.
- With Communications staff, oversee donation related sections of PIH website.
Community Engagement and Constituency Building
- Develop strategies to increase the number of monthly giving program members and to upgrade their annual giving; oversee staff implementing these strategies.
Development Department Administration
- Work with the Community Engagement Coordinator to build and execute a strategy focused on building a movement for global health; coordinate activities with appropriate Communications and Advocacy staff.
- Supervise the Annual Giving and Digital Manager, the Community Engagement Coordinator and the work of the staff person implementing the monthly giving program. Assign, prioritize, monitor, and audit work.
- Facilitate the monthly reporting on progress toward revenue goals for discussion at Development Department staff meetings. Produce timely statistical reports of fundraising appeal results and income generation throughout the year.
- Manage direct mail/membership operating budget and monitor entire department’s budget, advising/consulting with the CDO on trends, changes and needs. Advise the CDO of variances and assist in determining what actions might be needed.
- Collaborate with the Director of Development Operations and other staff on the functionality of and uses for PIH’s Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge database and PIH’s online database, BSD Tools.
- Maintain and update knowledge of PIH programs, goals, and priorities. Maintain awareness of role as representative of PIH; consider impact of activities on organization reputation and credentials in public and private sectors; direct energies whenever possible to promote PIH; advance organizational objectives; and enhance funding opportunities.
- Perform other related functions as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree minimum
- 10 to 12 years progressively responsible Development experience, includ¬ing experience in direct mail and digital marketing, production, and list management.
- Minimum five years staff supervision experience.
- Extensive direct experience in development and fund-raising techniques and proce¬dures, with particular expertise in direct marketing and direct mail.
- Strong persuasive writing and marketing skills required.
- Adept at condensing large amounts of information into a compelling, persuasive narrative for both individuals and small groups.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, manage budgets, analyze statistics, inspire staff and work collegially as part of a fast paced Development team
- Proven success at managing consultants and internal leadership experience is required.
- An understanding of global health issues and/or advocacy is a plus.
Partners in Health - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard