Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
Current nursing licensure as a registered nurse in the state in which practicing.
A minimum of two year's experience in supervision.
Demonstrates leadership ability and capability to work effectively with all levels of personnel.
Ability to communicate effectively in English through both speech and writing.
Working knowledge of federal, state and county laws governing skilled care facilities.
Ability to generate the enthusiasm and cooperation from others.
Experienced or trained in nursing administration, rehabilitation psychiatric or geriatric nursing
The Director of Nursing is responsible for the Administration Management of Nursing Services to residents in accordance with Physician's orders and total needs of the residents. The Director of Nurses is responsible for the twenty-four hour supervision of the nursing services.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for coordination plans for the total care of each resident, which comply with physician orders, governmental regulations and facility resident care policies.
- Maintains and upholds nursing service objectives, standards of nursing practice, nursing procedural manuals and written job descriptions for each level of nursing personnel.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection, hiring, orientation, training and dismissal of nursing personnel.
- Assist in controlling nursing service hours and supply cost, including recommendation for the number and type of nursing personnel to be employed and nursing service equipment and supply needs.
- Participate in admission and discharge planning of residents.
- Maintains contact with physician as necessary according to resident, facility policies and governmental regulations.
- Evaluates information to be shared with outside nursing personnel and allied services for continuity of resident care.
- Maintains good interpersonal relationships with resident families, nursing personnel, allied professional services and the community.
- Periodically visits residents to ensure maximum care and to ascertain need to additional or modified services.
- Promotes a safe environment within the facility, which includes fire and accidents prevention, maintenance of sanitary conditions and assurance that all nursing personnel understand their roles in the event of a disaster or other disruption of services.
- Confers daily with the Administrator regarding current status of nursing services and submits written reports as requested.
- Assigns duties and delegates responsibilities to nursing personnel according to their abilities.
- Evaluates performance of nursing personnel reporting to her/him and maintains evaluation records.
- Ensures that a resident plan of care is established for each resident and that the plan is reviewed and modified as needed.
- Assures adequate staff for twenty-four hour nursing coverage in the facility each day.
- Provides close supervision and direction to the charge nurses to continually improve the nursing care of the residents.