Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
The Director of Online Marketing and Communications will direct, oversee and support CRS’ online marketing and communications channels as a part of the Agency’s overall Marketing and Communications strategy. The role is responsible for generating ideas and tools to support and develop the growth in digital marketing and communications; the cultivation of supporters, and the development of online marketing campaigns. The Director of Online Marketing and Communications will supervise and guide a team of marketing and technical professionals to produce outstanding communications and marketing initiatives that deliver high levels of action and program engagement. He/she will also be responsible for the development of online strategy and will carry out the implementation of online marketing and campaigns initiatives. This role is responsible and accountable for all online marketing initiatives from inception to successful final analysis.
The Director will collaborate with appropriate business division leads to manage online engagement, website development and analytics functions. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications, the Director’s primary responsibilities are to ensure that all work from the online team is prioritized according to the MarCom Department priorities, to lead and empower the team, to oversee all strategic digital initiatives, and to be a strong liaison with program staff. The online team is responsible for the full lifecycle of online marketing activities, from list growth and site visit strategy, email marketing, SEO/SEM to quantifying and qualifying the impact of all online marketing efforts and reporting results. The Director will work with campaigns and program departments to develop and implement online marketing plans and tracking mechanisms to grow CRS’ online presence, including developing strategies to drive traffic to websites and converting visitors into members, donors, supporters and advocates. The Director works closely and in coordination with other departments and projects within CRS, leading the digital efforts and ensuring that all efforts are done within the priorities of the MarCom Department and in accordance with state-of-the-art high quality standards. The ideal candidate will be a tech-savvy communicator who is passionate about (and experienced with) online marketing and content delivery, as well as a successful track record in acquisition marketing and digital engagement.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a seasoned, creative and entrepreneurial communications professional who has deep experience with online marketing and communications to join a successful organization at a critical time of growth.
Strategic Planning and Analysis
• DevelopDeveloping and maintaining a world-class, cutting edge website and digital presence.
• Oversee all online marketing activities for the entire CRS Marketing and Communications Department, including innovating, developing, implementing, and managing smart online marketing techniques with the intent to grow and manage lists, increase open and click-through rates, and increase conversion.
• Define and execute strategies to increase traffic to website and social networks.
• Design, coordinate and oversee budgets for the use of new media tools.
• Manage relationships with external vendors.
• Develop a clear vision for growing supporter base and engaging that base to achieve strategic outcomes.
• Lead a comprehensive and efficient planning process to reach multiple audiences via various communications channels.
• Grow CRS’ supporter community through outreach campaigns, partnerships, search engine optimization and social and traditional media outlets.
• Oversee key digital communication channels (blog, email and other online communications content), leading efforts to produce relevant and engaging communications to the community that result in measurable action.
• Build on existing technology platforms to increase efficiency and support data-driven decision-making.
• Manage the development and maintenance of evergreen web content as well as the implementation of marketing and campaign initiatives.
• Maximize the use of other digital channels, such as SMS, podcasts, blogs and video, and ensure that these touch points are integrated where appropriate.
• Provide leadership to ensure integrated online and offline media coverage.
• See ideas from conception through to their execution; evaluate successes and failures.
• Identify opportunities to use emerging online technologies to attract new and retain existing supporters.
• Ensure that all software and tools work effectively according to CRS’ marketing initiatives.
• Analyze website traffic to provide good business intelligence for CRS’ programs.
• Coordinate closely with other departments to plan and execute integrated messaging campaigns.
• Keep up with trends and advances in online marketing, particularly in the nonprofit space, and participate where appropriate as a thought leader and representative of CRS.
• Develop and execute a strategy for building traffic and recruiting new list members and advocates through online media, SEO, keyword marketing, reciprocal linking, social media and other tactics.
• Prepare reports, records, and related program documents as required.
• Develop and manage program evaluation, tracking, and reporting systems
Staff Management and Teamwork
• Demonstrate creativity, out-of-the-box thinking and resourcefulness in leading team to meet ambitious growth and engagement goals.
• Lead collaborative efforts across the organization, especially with the program teams and brand marketing team.
• Foster a positive culture of enthusiasm and excellence across the entire organization.
• Define changes to improve work systems or procedures.
• Encourage strong collaboration and teamwork with other departments to plan and execute integrated messaging campaigns.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
Required Qualifications and Experience:
10-15 years of experience in online fundraising, marketing, advocacy, nonprofit management, or advertising, with a minimum seven years’ of management experience, and three to five years of specific online marketing experience at a nonprofit or with a consultant working closely with nonprofits. Proven success in building world-class, cutting edge websites and implementing effective marketing programs with measurable results. Experience with complex production and analytical tools, modern methods of online marketing analysis, and commitment to stay current in a rapidly changing field.
• Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing and/or advertising. Candidates with a degree in other disciplines with a proven relevant professional record will be accepted.
• Proven experience in online fundraising or advocacy conversion and the development of online fundraising and/or marketing strategies.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-performing, and dynamic environment that values excellence, intelligence, and feedback.
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, use independent judgment and follow-through with minimal supervision.
• Superior people and project management capabilities.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills with ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
• Effectiveness in team process, organization and time management.
• Clear communication skills and ability to lead a team.
• Experience with the development and overseeing of budgets.
• Highly organized an extraordinary ability to implement plans and ensure their completion, meeting very strict deadlines.
• Excellent negotiation skills.
• Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a sense of humor in order to maintain balance and perspective.
Supervisory Responsibilities: 10 person team comprised of designers, developers and content managers.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Executive Office, Web Unit, Graphic Services, Advertising, Market Research, Video Production, Charitable Giving, Overseas Support Department, U.S. Operations
External: News Media, CRS donors, USCCB, Foundations and other Institutional Donors.
Work Environment: Normal office working environment.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
The Bridgespan Group - 5 months ago