Director of Operations
Dunkirk, New York
Top 3 Major Objectives:
1. Manage region business to achieve budgeted objectives
• Develop budget, track and manage department performance and spending to ensure cost containment on variable cost per case and fixed actual dollar spend.
• Manage approved capital projects and submit projects that may be requested within the time and cost budget.
2. Drive Plant performance through culture, people, process compliance and process improvement
• Develop and drive an “Ownership” culture in the facility. Develop and drive an enthusiasm for the workplace, and a pride in the organization and working at the Cott facility.
• Develop and regularly communicate the plant mission and vision and drive a positive engagement with customers, managers, and employees.
• R ecruit and hire top talented team members to drive success of facility.
• Identify specific development needs of managers and supervisors and develop and execute a plan to drive their personal development. Identify managers / supervisors that demonstrate high potential and execute a plan to increase their development and promotion.
• Identify managers / supervisors that demonstrate consistently poor performance and have not responded to development and develop a plan to replace them.
• Drive plant performance improvements through effective use of the Continuous Improvement Programs.
• Develop and execute an education and training focus and assure that key training is completed in each quarter
• Support execution of required OSHA training. Support the development of key safety initiatives and programs to drive accident frequency rate reduction and manage workers comp cost
• Drive implementation of Self Managed Work Teams and ensure comprehensive training of operators and managers around effective team performance.
• Facilitate an active participation in the Operational Performance Management System.
3. Manufacture products to meet customer quality and volume requirements
• Execute and manage new product launches to successfully meet the customer’s expectations
• Deliver order fill rate of 98.5% while driving the cost of inventory down utilizing effective scheduling and inventory management
• Utilize the new product scorecard on projects to ensure execution reliability
• Maintain plant SQF level 3 certification through daily process compliance of the SQF program requirements
• As a low cost producer, Cott operates a flat organization and many key initiatives are left to the plant to plan and successfully execute as Business Owners.
• W ith limited capital expenditures, Management team is expected to maintain facility infrastructure and expand production flexibility to meet an ever increasing product diversity
• Develop and communicate business impact with weekly, monthly, and quarterly performance reports and presentations. Make regular presentations to local management team and executive team on plant performance and impact to the business.
• Develop and execute employee communications and make regular presentations to employees on state of the business that will drive their support for the vision and goals.
• Develops and communicates financial and budgetary impact of plant operations with finance team and operations executives.
• Effectively communicates and collaborates with local, state and federal agencies to ensure adherence with all laws and licensing requirements.
• P lant Director will have direct manager reports to include: Maintenance, Production, Quality/Sanitation, Warehouse, and Batching. Daily interaction and support provided by Plant Controller and Human Resources Manager.
• The plant manager will set performance objectives for each of the direct reports and regularly provide feedback and evaluation of performance against objectives. Plant manager also ensures all other employees are receiving regular performance evaluation.
• Positively drive support from Supply Chain, Sales, Finance, Engineering, Quality, Human Resources, and Risk Management as well as outside vendors, contractors and auditors.
Long-term planning and strategy objectives
• The plant manager is responsible for long term planning of capital projects and budgeting in order to maintain the facilities position as a low cost provider of quality products in a safe and productive work environment.
• The plant manager provides leadership in identifying and implementing new technologies and capabilities within the facility in order to meet the changing requests of the company’s customers.
Benchmarking the Best: What do the best people in this job do differently than the average person?
• Acts like an Owner and Business Manager by making decisions in such a way as to drive key operational objectives as well as meet customer requirements.
• Provides leadership within the facility in order to assure process compliance and effective communication throughout the facility.
• Effectively manages their time in order to meet deadlines without frequent reminders.
• Manages people at the right level in the organization and drives the same accountability throughout the leadership group. Drives accountability to the point of execution.
• Provides an atmosphere of trust within the facility while maintaining the appropriate follow up to assure compliance of key performance objectives.
• Maintains active use of the Cott Performance Management System.
• A successful plant manager will have accomplished experience in a high speed manufacturing operation providing the leadership and business knowledge necessary to successfully lead a COTT plant team. They provide the necessary training, mentoring, and leadership to meet business and performance objectives within the parameters of the facility’s budget.