We are currently looking for a Director of PLOS Labs to join our team within our rapidly growing San Francisco office. PLOS Labs – is a small, independent research and development team that will conceive, research, design and prototype innovative ways for scientists to communicate with each other and the public.
PLOS Labs will be the vanguard of our continuing efforts to push the envelope of scientific communication. The successful applicant will lead a small group which will rapidly prototype and otherwise explore ideas developed by the PLOS Labs team in conjunction with an Oversight Committee consisting of representatives from the organization’s board of directors, management and staff.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of innovation and experimentation, experience managing in a dynamic environment, a creative, “can do”, attitude, and the drive to transform the way scientists communicate with each other and the public.
Investigation of high impact, innovative ideas and potential projects as directed by Oversight Committee; recommendations for implementation; basic product prototyping or demonstrations of existing products.
- Investigation may include: summary of related work; assessment of available options for moving forward; evaluation of existing products.
- Recommendations may include: product development; partnerships, joint development; use of existing products; market/financial analysis; analysis of staffing needs, cost and time to implementation.
- Prototyping. Group will have technical ability to do simple prototyping, interface mockups, basic sketch ups.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Development of on-line authoring tools that enable author-controlled manuscript layout and proofing.
- Options for automated semantic enrichment of articles; web-based tools for text mining.
- Large dataset publication: open data standards; storage; development of on-line tools for large dataset manipulation and re-use.
Apply now | Return to top
- Career trajectory that reflects at least 10 years of relevant hands-on experience with at least 7 years in management.
- Experience managing a development team, development projects and project deliverables.
- Strong understanding of software design concepts, usability and emerging technologies.
- Background in product management, interaction design, visual design, and user research.
- Knowledge of ePublishing systems and open content a plus.
- Familiarity with Open Source technologies.
- Experience working with project collaboration applications (MS Project, phpCollab, etc.).
- Demonstrable passion for, and/or qualifications in, science or medicine.