The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.
We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.
We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.
Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
The Open Society Foundations’ Public Health Program (PHP) is committed to advancing health and human rights in two distinct but interconnected ways:
Our commitment to social inclusion demands that we work at the furthest margins of society, where the most acute and unpopular health and human rights challenges occur. We place a priority on groups who are excluded even from the most open societies. These include people who use drugs, sex workers, women living with HIV, transgender persons, people with mental disabilities, Roma, indigenous people, and those in need of palliative care. We also ally with those who stand in solidarity with these groups and who believe that promoting social inclusion will help to improve the health and human rights of all.
- by advancing the social inclusion of groups that are discriminated against on the basis of their health status or in their interaction with the health system; and
- by increasing transparency, accountability, and participation in decision-making about health-related laws, policies, implementation, and resource allocation.
Our commitment to transparency, accountability, and participation demands that we push for the disclosure and availability of relevant information related to health policy making and practice as critical to holding responsible actors to account for their actions, while also promoting the active and meaningful involvement of communities and citizens in defining issues of concern and making decisions about the services they need. We see transparency as necessary but not sufficient for accountability, and participation as critical to making both transparency and accountability directly meaningful to citizens, as well as to realizing health rights more broadly.
Purpose of Position
Report to the Director of the Public Health Program and is part of the senior management of the program. Provide guidance and strategic direction to the Public Health Program. Work is carried out independently.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. OSI may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Work closely with the Director and Deputy Director to provide guidance and strategic direction to the Public Health Program overall;
- Supervise and oversee the PHP’s work with respect to some of its portfolios. In that context, provide oversight of strategy development and implementation, and ensure day-to-day management of tasks.
- Hire and supervise relevant Project Directors, officers and admin staff, provide periodic feedback on performance and perform annual reviews of direct reports.
- In collaboration with senior colleagues, lead PHP’s strategic planning follow-up work, including designing and implementing tools and task teams to guide on-going efforts and learning processes;
- In collaboration with senior colleagues, develop and implement Program-wide staff development, including regular learning events and staff retreats;
- Lead PHP’s overall Program evaluation process and provide support to initiatives in designing Project evaluations;
- Represent as needed the PHP on Foundation-wide initiatives;
- Assist PHP projects with identifying donor partners as appropriate and represent as needed PHP in donor meetings and affinity groups;
- Foster integration and coordination across initiatives/programs;
- Ensure a smooth flow of communications within the PHP and the foundation as a whole;
- As required, represent PHP internally and externally, including with other donors;
- Identify consultants and new partners for the PHP;
- Extensive Travel is required;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
- Advanced degree (M.A./M.S) and ten to fifteen years of relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 12 years of experience in the implementation of advocacy and policy programs and in grant-making, particularly in health and human rights
- At least 10 years of experience as a successful manager of highly motivated, talented and productive senior staff
- Demonstrated experience in managing inter and intra-organizational relationships in complex organizational environments
- Demonstrated commitment to health and human rights especially in connection with marginalized populations, and in the context of developing countries
- Significant experience in grant-making, capacity building and project management, including managing consultants and developing and managing project budgets
- Experience working with civil society and grassroots organizations
- Experience with budgets and financial oversight
- Demonstrated leadership skills in a non-profit organization or philanthropic foundation
- Experience in managing teams who face multiple priorities under pressure and accomplish deadlines with a heavy workload
- Proven ability to build effective and cohesive teams
- Proven leadership qualities with delivering superior results
- Ability to effectively manage, supervise, develop and motivate staff
- Expert in identifying and resolving complex issues
- Expertise in identifying best practices and improving internal systems
- Excellent judgment and initiative in selecting the most effective solutions to develop and implement systems, policies and procedures
- Demonstrated budgetary, technical, human resource and financial management acumen
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), superior organizational and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to listen effectively
- Maintain relationships with other senior staff and their teams
- Integrity, professional discretion and ability to handle sensitive/confidential matters
- Extraordinary initiative, creative thinker and strong analytical skills
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams and building partnerships
- Ability to connect a variety of issues to new and broader trends relevant to the program
- Ability to develop and implement innovative and strategic priorities
- Proven commitment to the Open Society Foundations mission
Program Specific Requirements
- Advanced degree in social sciences, law, public policy, public administration or public health
- Significant experience managing senior staff
- Significant experience as a manager of highly motivated, talented and productive senior staff; must enjoy management and staff development
- Experience with organizational development and the provision of technical assistance to grantees and partners
- Practical knowledge of effective grant-making methods
- Experience in strategic planning, program monitoring and evaluation
- Experience building learning cultures
- Excellent communications skills, tact and discretion
- International experience, and experience working abroad a strong plus, especially in sub-Saharan Africa, Central and Eastern Europe/Former Soviet Union, Latin America and/or South East Asia
- Familiarity with other major private and institutional donors in the field of health and rights, and global health
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: email@example.com .