Position: Director of Purchasing
Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) is a comprehensive university, serving over 11,000 students at multiple locations throughout the Chicagoland area. It is regarded as one of the most diverse universities in the Midwest and is designated by the United States Department of Education as a Hispanic Serving Institution. The University offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate majors and its diverse population provides a microcosm of the Chicago metropolitan area and the world.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Procurement and Support Services, the Director is responsible for the university wide Purchasing operation. The function includes the operation of the Purchasing unit under the policies of the Adopted Procurement Rules of the Chief Procurement Officer for Public Institutions of Higher Education, the University Board of Trustee regulations, coordination with the Illinois Public Higher Education Cooperative (IPHEC) and the development of related University operational policies in coordination with applicable Federal and State laws.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs all purchasing functions of the University including all campus sites.
- Establishes and maintains policies, rules and operations that will result in procurement of quantities of commodities, equipment, and services as requested by the various campus units, consistent with guidelines of price, service, quality, delivery and terms of sale; or give functional directions to others delegated the authority to perform such services.
- Ensures compliance with policies and procedures mandated by applicable state statute, the Illinois Procurement Code, the Adopted Procurement Rules of the Chief Procurement Officer for Public Institutions of Higher Education, and the Northeastern Board of Trustees regulations.
- Supervises and directs the activities of the Purchasing Department staff.
- Oversees the competitive bidding process in accordance with the policies and procedures mandated by the Illinois Procurement Code and Northeastern Board of Trustees regulations. Facilitates discussion of proposed purchases with administrative and academic officers and staff ensuring appropriate University participation.
- Serves as contract negotiator for the University, including negotiations for leases of real property, equipment and contractual services. The Director also serves as chief negotiator for all maintenance contracts and contractual disputes regarding the operational units of the University with outside vendors.
- Promotes the use of minority-, female- and disabled-owned business enterprises (MAFBE) as suppliers of goods and services to the University. Establishes University MAFBE purchase goals, develops action plans and measures performance to goals.
- Provides final approval of requisitions, ensures that requisitions have the appropriate authorization and approves contracts and purchase documents.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, procurement, finance or related degree. Masters Degree in a business field.
- Ten years of purchasing experience, five years of which were in a supervisory capacity.
- Knowledge of the State of Illinois Procurement Code and/or experience with contracting within a University environment is highly desirable.
- Strong oral, presentation and written communication skills along with demonstrated high level of competence in Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required.
- Possession of a Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) or Certified Public Purchasing Officer (CPPO) designation, certified from the Universal Public Purchasing Certification Council (UPPCC), or a Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM) designation from the Institute of Supply Management, is desirable.
- Experience with Banner, or equivalent ERP systems, is strongly preferred.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (including one who has served as an immediate supervisor) to: email@example.com . No submissions other than through e-mail will be accepted.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received by March 29, 2013.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer and Invites Applications from Women and Minorities as well as Other Qualified Individuals.