The position is responsible for all Operations and Service Delivery aspects of a large scale Hosted (SaaS) service. In addition to managing the day-to-day activities of the System Administrators who are provisioning, monitoring, and maintaining the hosted services, this role is also the primary point of contact for other departments in their interactions with the team.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Project management of Service Delivery and Operations projects to increase capacity, improve performance and enhance the scalability of the hosted environment
- Maintain the SaaS hosted environment to exceed external SLAs and internal SLOs
- Work with other Operations and Service Delivery teams building, delivering and supporting best in class SaaS services and infrastructure
- Manage post-mortem analysis of incidents or outages, identifying changes to monitoring, processes, or product that will detect or prevent repeat occurrences.
- Participate in and manage a 24X7 support service (you will need to engage in off hour service support)
- Plan maintenance (upgrades, patching, etc.) and work with Support to craft customer communications as necessary.
- Identify processes and tasks which are being performed by the team (or others) which are candidates for automation.
- Evaluate implementation strategies for the automation, including technical details and which team is best suited to build that automation.
- Regularly review capacity requirements, inventory and sales forecast to adequately size, plan, request and procure required equipment and services
- Provide daily feedback to engineering regarding issues and challenges of the hosted service, and in particular, issues that have been escalated through the support process to sustaining for resolution.
- Work with engineering in an ongoing basis to identify and prioritize engineering work to improve management, supportability, scalability, and features from an Operational point of view
- Provide primary interface between technical sales and support management for customer issues and incidents. Direct team to assist in resolution of issues.
- At request of support or sales management, be available for customer calls in both pre-and post-sales situations to explain services, practices, configurations, etc
- Creation and application of Service Delivery and Operational policy and processes
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 7 + years experience in managing production operations in a SaaS environment
- Network and systems administrative experience; must be a strong technologist with a background in IP networks and *nix systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; experience working with distributed teams.
- Excellent customer service skills, addressing the needs of both the external and internal customers.
- Must have exceptional analytical, organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Must have excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills.
- Data and process driven, results oriented.
- Experience with open source technologies and commodity hardware platforms.
- Familiarity with standards, including SAS70, ISO 27002, PCI, HIPAA, and SOX.
- Knowledge of ITIL and other Operational best practices
Proofpoint - 13 months ago