As a senior staff member in a large academic or administrative department, division, or school, manages operations and administration, participates in planning and setting priorities, and oversees related projects to ensure their success.
Job Title Name: Administrative Officer
- Works with management to create short- and long-term business plans, including operational, organization, and financial aspects.
- Works with management and others to develop and implement operating policies and procedures.
- Manages the ongoing financial, operational, and staffing activities of the department.
- Manages operating budget and performs analysis and reporting to support decision-making.
- Oversees legal, safety, fiscal, and other compliance requirements.
- Oversees facilities, technology, and materials utilized in the department, coordinating with appropriate Campus services.
- Works with other Campus or University units to coordinate and plan fund-raising, grants, marketing, communications, and outreach activities.
- Independently carries out a portfolio of responsibilities under the department's purview, such as managing committees, securing approvals, and providing communications.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Officer
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
In addition to the general duties the Director of Special Events will also be required to:
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
- Provide leadership, professional expertise, and direction in the planning and execution of high quality events and functions
- Identify and facilitate discussion and decisions about issues affecting events, and ensure that President, Vice President and campus-wide priorities are reflected in the planning and presentation of events
- Plan collaboratively with principal parties and department heads, marketing and development staff, the President's office and others to create an annual calendar of special events that maximizes potential impact and benefits in critical areas of donor stewardship and recognition, government or community relations, alumni relations, etc.
- Identify and participate in discussion and decision-making about strategies, opportunities, potential conflicts, and other issues related to the successful production of events
- Develop and/or maintain highly professional standards and procedures for production of events. Serve as central campus resource for matters of College protocol (e.g., event format, image projection, and etiquette to be observed)
- Prepare pre- and post-event analysis, and assess opportunities and make recommendations for improving service to internal and external constituencies, and implement those improvements as appropriate
- Prior to all events, receive or make recommendations on program content and organization, and prepare written briefings or procure them from appropriate sponsoring office. Independently, or in concert with program sponsor, oversee event program development (e.g., recruit and/or facilitate coordination and briefing of speakers/presenters, develop program agendas, determine order of speakers, etc.)
- Provide leadership and direction in performance of the details of event production, with emphasis on high standards for customer relations, attention to detail, protocol, and etiquette. Ensure the appropriate tone, schedules, and appearance of all events-related invitations, programs, and correspondence
- Prepare, manage, and monitor event budgets, anticipating costs of production, technical, and promotional needs. Clarify funding source for events not sponsored by University Relations. Ensure detailed event financial information for fiscal control purposes
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' relevant experience required.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please click "Apply Now" below. Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
December 20, 2012
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
CUNY - 6 months ago
The City University of New York is the nation's largest urban public university with 23 institutions: eleven senior colleges, six community...