Position: Director of Retail Operations
Hiring Manager: VP of Operations and Service
Work Location: Menlo Park, CA (HQ)
Type: Full-time / Exempt
ABOUT PROGRESO FINANCIERO
Progreso Financiero aims to be the partner of choice to the 23 million underbanked Hispanics in the United States who need access to responsible and empowering financial products and services. Unlike mainstream institutions, Progreso provides loans without collateral to clients who lack credit history by using its sophisticated risk-scoring system that emphasizes a client's true capacity to afford a loan. Progreso Financiero engages with customers in their neighborhoods, in their language, and with familiar faces from the community to build relationships of trust that lead to a lifetime of growth and prosperity.
Progreso Financiero is a for-profit institution that believes in the moral collateral of its clients and is committed to providing opportunities to help its clients achieve their dreams. Since its founding in 2005, the company has made more than 350,000 loans, extending $400 million in capital to underserved Hispanic families through more than 70 locations across California and Texas and helping improve credit scores for more than 87 percent of its loan customers.
Our Retail Locations
Progress Financial operates over 75 retail locations throughout California and Texas. While about 2/3 of the locations are co-located within a larger retailer, typically a supermarket such as Northgate, Superior, Mi Pueblo, El Super, etc., there are a number of stand-alone locations as well. We expect to grow locations to about 100 stores in 2013 and expand geographically to include Illinois (Chicago) and potentially others in 2013.
Retail locations are typically open from the hours of 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM on the weekdays and 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM on the weekends. Hours can vary by location and some locations are closed on Sundays. There are two company-wide holidays: Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Retail locations are typically equipped with low-cost computers, monitors, internet connectivity, a cash safe, a safe for reloadable debit cards, cash tills, a large booth, and locked cabinets. Stand-alone locations are typically equipped with the above plus video cameras, a DVR, an alarm system, a small flat-panel TV, and a silent alarm. Some locations also have an ATM, a bill payment kiosk and check scanners.
Stores are staffed with one to four agents, depending on forecasted traffic. Most locations operate with two agents, although most stores will have reduced staffing towards the opening hours. All agents are hourly employees with compensation weighted heavily towards a variable commission structure.
The Director of Retail Operations will be responsible for managing the day to day activities to keeping our retail store locations functioning at an optimal efficiency level. This includes responsibility for lease management, store security, store equipment rentals and management, cash management and logistics, IT and facility related needs and compliance related needs for our employees to have a safe and effective workplace.
- Manage the daily operations of the Stores including, but not limited to:
o Cash logistics management
o IT related items such as printers, desktop computers and other peripherals
o Internet service providers and telephony providers
o Security vendors
o Janitorial, supplies and general store maintenance
- Negotiate with vendors and manage ongoing critical vendor relationships with cash logistics vendors, landlords, security vendors and other retail operations vendors
- Manage the new store opening process along with close process and relocation process
- Lead the company’s footprint optimization initiative to assure that the company has the right stores open in the right areas and are performing to the levels that we need for effective sales and efficient and effective customer experience
- Handle communications and incident management when issues arise at the store – this requirement spans 7 days/ week
- Provide data on operational logistics to Head of Sales so that he/she can manage any staffing issues that arise
- Lead the efforts to manage the overall store customer experience. This includes developing self service strategies. Wait time measurement and analysis, queue management and other items
- Assure that all stores are compliant with proper business licenses, OSHA and ADA compliance and any other compliance related initiative.
- Lead projects to improve our store infrastructure
- Manage a staff of 8-10 highly motivated individuals
- Manage to an overall budget per store as well as manage a Capital expenditure allocation across the entire retail footprint
- Perform other duties as assigned
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree
- Bi-lingual Spanish and English speaker is required
- The jobholder typically requires 5-10+ years of experience in Retail and Operations oriented fields.
- Proven track record of leadership and managing both exempt and non-exempt staff members across multiple geographies
- Proven track record in project management skills and managing complex projects.
- Previous experience in similar industries and markets preferred.
- Proven ability to manage effectively cross-functional and cross-cultural teams.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the development and analysis of comprehensive reports. This includes the ability to collect, interpret, and present data, and reaching effective decisions using such data.
- Excellent communication skills are required. This includes both written and spoken communications with team members, peers, and senior management.
- Experienced with tools and methods for project management and development.
- Acts as an advisor to subordinates to meet schedules, and/or resolve problems.
- Develops and administers budgets, schedules and performance objectives.
- Successfully managed multiple and complex vendor relationships across a number of disciplines
A job applicant must possess proof of current work authorization on or before the first day of work for pay.