The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university serving more than 480,000 students in a wide range of educational programs at 24 colleges and institutions in New York City.
Directs planning, program development, and administration to support access, retention, multicultural, and other student affairs objectives.
- Develops plans for, and leads a student development services unit which comprises a variety of services and programs
- Collaborates with academic affairs professionals and other in supporting retention and building a comprehensive learning environment that fosters the intellectual, psychological, social, leadership and recreational development of a diverse student population
- Assists senior management in providing leadership, developing policy, conducting strategic planning, and representing student affairs in various professional activities
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the portfolio of student services in supporting divisional and College-wide goals; oversees data collection, tracking, and reporting systems
- Manages fiscal and human resources; may oversee grant management activities for selected programs
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Student Life Director
Higher Education Officer
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, The Director of Campus Student Involvement will be responsible for assisting the Vice President to plan, implement and evaluate the programs and services managed by the Division, and to recommend the development and implementation of new programs and services that support the College's strategic plan. S/he will assist the Vice President in promoting a desire for excellence, creativity, leadership, cooperation/teamwork and accountability throughout the Division of Student Affairs.
Additional duties include:
- Provide vision and leadership for building community between students, their families and CCNY.
- Provide leadership and supervision for program coordination, strategic planning, and student development for the following areas: Student Life, Athletics, Auxiliary Services and Veterans Affairs.
- Develop and sustain the Division of Student Affairs communication plan to provide a single point of information about critical student services and selected college offerings.
- Collaborate with Communications and Marketing on the development of communication protocols, campaigns, publications and the Division of Student Affairs web presence.
- Assist the Vice President in providing leadership and oversight in implementing continuous improvement efforts, formulating Division goals and objectives, and evaluating the Division's targets and goals and Performance Management Process in support of the College and CUNY goals/targets
- Work with the Vice President to determine campus needs and implement appropriate services. Recommend strategies to meet the needs of a diverse community and student body.
- Leverage technology to ensure uniform delivery of foundational information to all students, reach students quickly and to track the effectiveness of community building activities.
- Develop performance metrics for all campus engagement efforts.
- Develop long- and short-term goals and objectives; direct program development, implementation, evaluation, and improvement to achieve the goals and objectives of the college.
- Serve on campus and CUNY wide committees.
Bachelor's degree and eight years related experience required.
Master's degree in a relevant discipline is strongly preferred. Experience in higher education and an outstanding record accomplishment is required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills and the capacity to supervise and lead a student affairs staff.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in student services in general and student engagement in particular.
- Knowledge of policy formulation and methods of analysis to establish practical policies and provide effective guidance in decision-making.
- Ability to organize and implement change.
- Ability to behave in a considerate manner with others regardless of ethnicity, gender, age, disability, or beliefs.
- Ability to interview, select, train, supervise, and evaluate a diverse staff.
- Ability to actively listen and demonstrate understanding.
- Skills to maintain a fair and decisive leadership style with the ability to make independent judgments.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate outcomes and effectiveness of projects/programs.
- An innovative character thriving on challenge, who is student and quality driven.
- Ability to generate and identify opportunities to improve present programs and/or operations.
- Demonstrates the determination to achieve objectives, particularly when subject to time/cost constraints.
- Ensure regular evaluation of assigned staff and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to keep up-to-date on changes in technology and provide recommendations regarding the direction of the campus' strategic plan.
- Ability to safeguard sensitive or confidential information from intentional or unintentional disclosure.
- Ability to meet deadlines for assigned reports and projects.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to
and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
Open until filled, with the review of applications to begin 02/06/2013.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
InsideHigherEd.com - 11 months ago