We're looking for a sharp and passionate operations leader to join the team that builds and maintains ThinkGeek's highly-successful custom e-commerce platform.
Founded in 1999, ThinkGeek is a close-knit group of fun and enthusiastic people who invent the coolest geek gadgets, such as the iCade, the playable electronic guitar t-shirt, and the Tauntaun sleeping bag.
Much of our software is developed in-house, so projects will run a wide gamut of business areas (accounting to warehouse management, and everything in between).
Main job responsibilities:
- Leads the technology operations team which consists of systems administrators, database administrators, desktop support, and software quality assurance analysts.
- Responsible for the uptime, availability, and security of existing infrastrastructure, both on-premise and externally hosted
- Ensure appropriate system monitoring, resource trending, and alerting are in place and managed
- Partners with the Director of Application Engineering to ensure efficient project delivery
- Responsible for asset procurement, inventory management, and budgeting of core infrastructure and peripherals.
- Performs problem analysis, troubleshooting and resolution as required, for various applications
- Develop roadmap for core technology stack including desktops, servers, and databases.
- Responsible for maintaining SOX/PCI compliant change management and release processes.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 4+ years directly managing a team of systems and/or database administrators
- 4+ years of Linux/Apache administration experience
- 4+ years professional experience working with relational databases (SQL) in a high transaction, high availability environment, MySQL in a highly transactional environment is a plus.
- 3+ years of vendor management
- Effectively able to handle multiple priorities and manage time efficiently to deliver projects of varying size.
- Must have excellent communication skills both written and oral. Active listening is key as we seek to understand others’ views.
Geeknet is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or any other class protected by applicable state or federal law.
- Experience with Rack Space and/or other Cloud hosting options
- Experience with Agile software development practices (e.g. Scrum, Lean/Kanban).
- Experience managing software release process
- Experience with Git
- Ecommerce experience
- Experience with Perl 5, Template Toolkit and/or a common Perl web framework are all pluses
ThinkGeek - 9 months ago