The Director will work to develop and implement a vision and strategic plan for the preserve in keeping with its educational and conservation mission. The implementation of the vision and strategic plan will include interacting with local, regional, national, and international preserve programs, educational, and government entities. The Director will oversee WBCRC staff; and play an active and support role in public relations, grant writing, educational program development, and fundraising. As the chief executive officer, the Director has broad authority to lead and govern the operations of WBCRC to achieve its mission and strategic goals. Primary responsibilities include development and implementation of a strategic plan; staff development and supervision; financial management; coordination with the Wild Basin Academic Council and St. Edward’s University to develop the WBCRC as an educational and research resource for St. Edward’s University and the surrounding community; and serving as the representative and community liaison for WBCRC and the wilderness preserve. Position reports to the Dean of the School of Natural Sciences. For more information pertaining to the Wild Basin Creative Research Center, please go to http://think.stedwards.edu/wildbasin/
- Primary responsibility for all aspects of the Wild Basin, including land-management, facility oversight, fundraising, and development of WBCRC as an educational and research resource for St. Edward’s University and others.
- Formulate goals, policies, long-range and short-range plans and budgets for the operation of WBCRC and its programs.
- Assist in identifying funding sources and educational and research programs.
- Preparation of technical and educational components and reports pertaining to environmental education and preserve management.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with local school districts, community groups, other educational and environmental organizations, and governmental agencies.
- Develop ongoing partnerships with local, state, national, and global agencies and organizations to expand the conservation message in Central Texas.
- Collaborate with key support departments within St. Edward’s University, including Advancement; Marketing; Grants and Sponsored Programs; and Instructional Technology.
- Collaborate to develop new educational opportunities incorporating Wild Basin, St. Edward’s University, and the community.
- A Ph.D. in Biological Sciences required.
- Experience working with higher education institutions.
- Experience interacting with city, county, state, and federal agencies in conservation districts or similar areas preferred.
- Experience in fundraising and resource development preferred.
- Experience in management, oversight, and outreach preferred.
- Experience developing annual budgets and organizational strategy and tactics preferred.
- Successful completion of an employment and/or criminal history background check required.
St. Edward's University - 16 months ago