The South Dakota State University (SDSU) Foundation is seeking two (2) dynamic and results-oriented
Directors of Development
to realize bold goals and implement a strategic vision for the flagship and largest higher education institution in the state of South Dakota. Located in Brookings, the fourth largest city in the state, known for its welcoming character and high quality of life, SDSU is a vibrant community of learners and researchers with an enrollment of almost 13,000 in more than 175 fields of study. In April 2013, the University celebrated the largest higher education fundraising effort in state history with the successful completion of its six-year, “It Starts with STATE” campaign. More than $255 million was raised on a goal of $200 million.
With assets that exceed $150 million and a professional staff of 28, the Foundation is expanding its development team to capitalize on the institutional momentum achieved during the campaign. The two (2) Directors of Development each will serve in one of the following areas:
Focusing on major donor solicitation and stewardship, these important positions will work closely with the Foundation’s leadership as well as experienced academic and administrative leaders in each of the assigned areas. Key responsibilities will include:
- College of Education & Human Sciences;
- Division of Student Affairs.
To view the position descriptions in full and learn more about these positions, please visit
- Create and implement a comprehensive major gift development plan for the assigned area.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and provide exceptional stewardship to a portfolio of 75 to 125 major donors and prospects.
- Draft and customize correspondence, proposals, and other written materials for assigned prospects.
- Authentically and energetically portray the mission of the university and assigned area.
- Emphasize giving to support scholarship funding for individual students.
South Dakota State University Foundation is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidates will have a minimum of three years of effective fundraising experience, preferably in higher education; a demonstrated knowledge of major gifts and donor relations; persuasive oral and written communication skills; and a high level of personal and professional integrity. National travel, some evenings and weekends, and participation in a variety of constituent events are expected. A bachelor’s degree is required.
Council for Advancement & Support of Education - 13 months ago