The NC Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), in collaboration with its partners, protects the health and safety of all North Carolinians and provides essential human services .
I NTERNAL POSTING – ONLY CURRENT DHHS APPLICANTS WILL BE CONSIDERED
This position will conduct face-to-face hearings with individuals whose disability benefits under social security or supplemental security have been terminated for medical reasons. The DDS Hearings Officer must have extensive knowledge of the Social Security disability program to effectively question the claimant and witnesses. They must be able to analyze and write, in a clear manner, a legally defensible decision concerning the individual’s entitlement to benefits. Some of the Hearing Officer’s duties are performed in an electronic environment. Production of forms and evaluations are done utilizing the computer.
** Up to 2 positions may be filled depending on the availability of funding. **
**CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK REQUIRED**
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
· Formal DDS training in the full range of disability adjudication process;
· Extensive knowledge of the full range of disability adjudication (medical, vocation and administrative issues) of Social Security disability program - it’s policies, procedures, laws, regulations, administrative rulings and due process requirements is required;
· Effective oral and written communication skills;
· Ability to prioritize and organize work to evaluate and analyze large volumes of medical information and communicate an accurate decision in a concise, logical manner;
· Possess excellent organizational skills, independence and decisiveness;
· Position requires travel throughout the state of NC;
· Computer skills and a working knowledge of software packages is required.
· Management prefers supervisory or case consultant experience.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from a four-year college or university & four years of
progressive experience as a Disability Determination Specialist, two
of which were at the Disability Determination Specialist II level or
higher; or an equivalent combination of training & experience.
Supplemental and Contact Information:
**PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ON-LINE**
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) selects applicants for employment based on job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or political influence.
Please make sure you complete the application in full. “See Resume” or “See Attachment” will NOT be accepted.
Any questions about this posting, please contact Onie Whitley at 919-212-3222, ext.4563.
North Carolina Office of State Human Resources - 8 months ago
copy to clipboard