Under general supervision, is responsible for performing technical radio communications work involving the dispatching of personnel via the operation of radio, telephone, computer terminal or multi-data terminals according to request for service and available manpower. Duties may include some clerical work. Exercises no supervision.
This position is a "grant funded" position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
Essential Job Functions:
- Evaluates emergency and non-emergency requests and determines response disposition.
- Operates a radio transmitter and receiver system, and computer keyboard.
- Maintains and compiles records of actions taken.
- Dispatches information requested by Inspectors in the field through use of a two-way radio.
- Schedules inspections of all trades through the telephone with the use of the computer system.
- Dispatches safety and building maintenance, transportation operations, and parking personnel to appropriate request for service.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Graduation from high school or a General Education Development (GED)
- One (1) year of experience in public contact either in person or by telephone.
- Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 5 pounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic telephone techniques and public relations.
- Knowledge of standard radio broadcasting procedures.
- Knowledge of dispatch office procedures and equipment.
- Ability to learn location of local streets.
- Ability to learn departmental and field operation procedures.
- Ability to input and retrieve data from computers.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
City of San Antonio - 13 months ago
When you "Remember the Alamo," don't forget San Antonio! The second-largest Texas city (behind Houston), with a population...