A District Manager for Bon Appétit Management Company is responsible for managing multiple Bon Appétit locations within a designated geographical area. Accounts are a combination of Bon Appétit corporate, educational, and specialty venue locations. Manage client relationships effectively in alignment with contractual obligations; strive to incorporate fiscally responsible programs in alignment with Bon Appétit business goals. Implement and manage programs such as Food Sanitation, Quality, Safety, Customer Service, Training, Recruiting, and Positive Employee Relations. Establish annual business and financial business goals for each location and measure with General Managers and Executive Chefs. Heavy travel to each location to meet with clients and Bon Appétit managers and employees. Conduct staff district meetings to help build consistent practices across the locations in areas of staffing, meeting budgets, customer service, client relationships, safety, quality and HR. Provides leadership to salaried and hourly employees and ensures programs are in place that conform to Bon Appétit and the client’s Standards of Conduct. Consistently trains, develops, supports and oversees all management team to minimize turnover. Manages new account openings within established pre-opening budgets, standards of operation, and presentation expectations. Keeps Regional Vice President of potential issues affecting the total operation of each Café.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
· Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
· Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
· Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
· Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
1. Mentors the Executive Chef, Chef Manager and General Manager in creating menus and food programs which are diverse, interesting and tasteful, using only the highest quality foods. Provide feedback after visits are conducted.
2. Ensures that all Bon Appétit food standards are followed and utilizes corporate resources and training for the locations.
3. Recommends tools and training for managers so they develop marketing skills. Audits food displays and counters that are to be creatively decorated in a timely manner, reflecting well prepared, made from scratch dishes and specials, following Bon Appétit standards.
4. Oversees that all Client and customer expectations of perceived value are met by monitoring customer comments.
5. Ensures the integrity of individual food programs by monitoring ingredient menu descriptions.
Supervision and Development of Staff
1. Manage recruiting, staffing, and training of location managers.
2. Provides resources and training to the management team, developing Managers for the purpose of promoting from within, using succession planning as a tool.
3. Monitors the well being of the hourly staff, ensuring adherence to employee policies and procedures.
4. Promotes the Company’s “Open Door Policy;” ensuring the highest level of communication and understanding between all employees.
5. Handles management staff conflicts or performance issues in a timely manner; coaches toward documenting performance and/or disciplinary actions.
6. Utilizes resources by working with the Regional Vice President and other District Managers and HR of any areas of concern and staffing issues. Provides Regional Vice President with action plans and time lines for resolutions.
Financial Management and Analysis
1. Follows Bon Appétit financial requirements by completing mini audits of each account.
2. Monitors Bon Appétit procedures of cash handling to ensure the accounts integrity.
3. Utilizes quarterly and yearly financial analysis of each Café with the Manager to initiate discussions and focus with the Client.
4. Reviews weekly and monthly Operating Statements, monitoring and analyzing the financial progress of the Café and creating necessary corrective action.
5. Communicates with the Bookkeeper and Controller, addressing any financial issues within each account.
6. Assist Managers with the Bon Appétit and Client budget process.
7. Manages the timely billing and payment of Bon Appétit’s Accounts Receivables.
Safety and Sanitation
1. Monitors the adherence to Health Department codes and OSHA and ADA regulations.
2. Reviews the implementation of time and temperature logs, safety meetings and inspections, and F.A.C.T. training status.
3. Reviews all injury and/or accident reports for accuracy and timeliness, monitoring outstanding injury claims.
4. Dispatches District Safety Coordinator to problem accounts.
Customer Service, Staff and Client Relations
1. Treats all staff with care and respect.
2. Monitors comment card responses.
3. Conducts monthly district meetings with management team.
4. Conducts Client surveys.
5. Develops a healthy Client relationship, conducting honest, timely and accurate Client communications, including quarterly and yearly reports.
6. Conducts Manager reviews, coaching sessions and disciplinary actions.
7. Formulates Manager action plans and ensures their completion.
8. Assists Managers in creating a one year and five year plan, expediting their development.
9. Reviews the implementation of the W.O.W.S. program to incorporate customer service into the Café’s daily routine.
1. Tours Cafés, overseeing, training and assisting with Front of House decor.
2. Revitalizes older accounts with new food programs, décor and equipment.
3. Helps in developing marketing, advertising and promotional pieces.
4. Contributes to the testing and updating of menu ideas and concepts with the Executive Chef.
5. Ensures the implementation of the marketing promotions program, Seasons and Reasons.
6. Assists Clients with Café and food program design.
Bon Appétit Relations
1. Coordinates staff and other resources between regions and accounts, as needed.
2. Advises Regional Vice President of any foreseeable account issues.
3. Establishes Manager quarterly bonus objectives and manages their accomplishment.
4. Formulates and manages his/her own overhead account budget.
5. Participates in regional activities, Manager’s Co-op, Chef’s Exchange and Purchasing Counsel.
6. Contributes to the sales of new accounts, the bidding process and the opening of new accounts.
1. Teaches Bon Appétit philosophy and culture, emphasizing food made from scratch, friendly and attentive service and a safe and clean environment
2. Supports Bon Appétit decisions while promoting a team spirit.
3. Performs any duties as assigned by the Regional Vice President and/or Corporate Management.
Note: Job duties are subject to change as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education: Minimum of four (4) years college education; Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality, Hotel/Restaurant or Business Management is preferred. A minimum of 10 years of experience industry experience in place of a degree.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 to 7 years mid-management experience supervising exempt employees. Have strong communication skills; ability to invoke conflict resolution skills effectively, strong presentation skills, and able to communicate with all levels of the organization. Proficient computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Able to speak clearly and listen attentively to staff, peers, supervisors, guests and client.
- Has a computer skill with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Strong passion for great food.
- General culinary knowledge of basic kitchen practices, protocols and procedures.
- Ability to follow all Bon Appétit Health & safety standards.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
· College Degree is required
· Online Sexual Harassment Training
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
· Stand, talk or hear, and taste or smell.
- Travel up to 85%; primarily driving if locations are within driving distance.
- Walk across campus and corporate locations during visits and client meetings.
- Physical work includes at times, during special events or challenging locations, heavy lifting, carrying up to 25 pounds; occasional bending and stooping when necessary.
· Walk; use hands or fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
· Ability to read, understand and speak English to perform essential functions of the job.
· Ability to speak and write clear, professional and efficient correspondence in email and over the phone.
· Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
· Ability to lead groups in training classes catering basic industry topics.
ACHIEVING LEADERSHIP IN THE FOODSERVICE INDUSTRY:
Bon Appétit is a diversity growth-oriented organization. Our goal is to improve the quality of work life by using fair and consistent treatment and providing equal growth opportunities for ALL associates. EOE & AA Employer M/F/D/V.
This position does not directly supervise anyone but is responsible for working in a team and completing task in a group setting.
Bon Appetit Mgmt Co - 20 months ago