Our vision at Petco is
Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World.
We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you'll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
To provide leadership and guidance to stores in order to ensure that district sales and profit goals are achieved. To develop and implement plans, policies and procedures in an effort to maximize profits. This position requires action be taken regarding merchandise placement, staffing decisions and problem resolution which may or may not be covered by specific operating procedures, and therefore individual judgment is frequently required.
Essential Job Duties:
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Analyze and monitor the sales and expense figures for each store, provide feedback and make recommendations for improvement in order to ensure that store profitability is maximized, and present district sales figures to the Regional Manager for feedback and recommendations.
- Visit all district stores regularly and conduct inspections to ensure that Petco policies, procedures and merchandising programs are observed, and ensure that all new policies and procedures are properly implemented on a timely basis.
- Recruit, train, develop and manage Store Management to ensure that stores are adequately staffed at all times and succession plans are appropriately maintained for District/Regional needs.
- Within the guidelines of Guest Care orientation, ensure that all associates are properly trained to provide outstanding customer service, and take corrective action when necessary.
- Provide counsel to Store Managers, to include personnel issues, store events, problem solving, crisis intervention, etc. and foster open communications with store personnel and the community through periodic newsletters, store promotions, etc. Plan and set individual as well as store goals, and track the progress of each to ensure that objectives are met.
- Conduct regular visits to competitor locations and report observed changes in prices, operations, policies, etc. to the appropriate levels of management.
- Conduct regular audits of store paperwork, including bank deposit slips, overages/shortages, etc. and track trends to ensure that cash control procedures are in place and observed. Ensure that all stores within their district are aware of company directed Shrink reduction initiatives and comply with Asset Protection programs.
- Coordinate new store openings and existing store remodels, and facilitate the prompt repair of store equipment as required.
- Ensure that all store paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner and that all correspondence with Corporate is directed to the proper departments. Process and forward documentation to the appropriate department.
- Adhere to and promote through instruction established safety procedures.
- Monitor merchandise levels in all district stores and coordinate the balance of stock between stores to ensure that inventory levels are adequate. Audit quarterly and annual physical inventory counts for accuracy and to detect merchandise allocation problems. Follow-up on Regional Inventory Manager recommendations to ensure appropriate stock levels are maintained.
- Complete semi-annual performance evaluations and annual merit increase recommendations for all Store Managers in a district and submit them to the Regional Manager for approval. Ensure employee reviews are administered prior to due dates.
Job duties entail primary responsibility for training and developing Store Managers and store personnel at all levels in the absence of the manager, including assignment delegation, instruction and follow-through. The District Manager is required to approve performance evaluations for all store employees and to provide guidance in the form of progressive discipline, whenever necessary, in accordance with established procedures. Additionally, it is the responsibility of the District Manager to communicate all situations and/or conditions that affect the district (i.e., customer complaints/requests, inadequate inventory levels, unemployment hearings, etc.) with the appropriate level of management or department.
The District Manager position requires that quality time be spent traveling between stores, sometimes several hundred miles per week. There may be risk of injury resulting from improper procedures while assisting customers and store personnel.
Education and Experience:
A high school diploma or its equivalent (GED) is required, and one to three years of additional education in the fields of communication and/or business management is preferred. An applicant must be able to demonstrate advanced math proficiency and exceptional communication skills as well as basic mechanical ability.
A qualified candidate for District Manager should possess previous experience in a retail setting, to include control of multiple locations, one location with multiple departments or a background managing several locations in a highly active environment. In addition, job responsibilities require that a District Manager possess an aptitude for training, motivation and sales techniques as well as a professional appearance and demeanor. Must be licensed to operate a motor vehicle.
Petco - 17 months ago
PETCO Animal Supplies is a holding company for PETCO Animal Supplies Stores, the second-largest US retailer of specialty pet supplies...