EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
- Receives and evaluates potential donor information from medical professionals and families to determine donor suitability for tissue and eye donation.
- Approaches grieving families to offer the option of donation.
- Receives death notifications from RTI Donor Services Division offices, hospitals, funeral homes, coroners, medical examiners and hospice facilities to screen for tissue donation suitability.
- Initiates contact with next of kin for potentially suitable donors.
- Approaches donor families – must be able to talk with grieving families and proceed professionally with the donation process
- Obtains Donor Risk Assessment Interview – must be able to clearly state and explain the donation process while adhering to strict RTI, state and federal regulatory guidelines.
- Coordinates the donation – must be able to professionally interact with nursing staff and recovery teams.
- Maintains contact with referring facility and other involved parties i.e. funeral homes, coroners, medical examiner, eye banks.
- Acts as a funeral homes liaison, assists hospital staff with notification of donation and release and follows up with donor families when needed, being able to give explanations when issues/changes are experiences in the donation process.
- Triages calls on behalf of a Texas Organ Procurement Organization (OPO). RTI contracted facilities calls are worked internally. Non RTI facilities are passed to appropriate tissue/eye banks. Vented referrals and Import Options are triaged immediately to an on call OPO coordinator in Texas.
- Handles other screening calls from various tissue banks throughout the United States for acceptance into processing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (list required and preferred separately)
- High school education or equivalent required.
- Previous data entry experience and the ability to work within defined timelines while being sensitive to exposure of confidential information.
- Medical background experience (nursing, laboratory, social work) with knowledge of tissue donation preferred.
- Previous experience working with grieving families desired.
This position may require the use of personal protective equipment during various tasks/activities including but not limited to, gloves, masks and safety glasses.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to converse easily and accurately over the phone.
- Ability to work as a team while exhibiting strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong time-management skills and demonstrated ability to work independently while managing multiple priorities and a large volume of work.
- Ability to rapidly adjust to changing situations while remaining energetic and demonstrating a positive attitude.
- Familiarity with medical terminology, healthcare and tissue donation preferred.
List activity requirements and percentage of time : KEY: Not at all (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%), Constant (67-100%)
Climbing: Not at all (0%) Bending: Occasional (1-33%) Kneeling/Crawling with force: Not at all (0%)
Pulling: Occasional (1-33%) Reaching Above Head: Occasional (1-33%) Twisting at waist: Occasional (1-33%)
Lift above shoulders: Occasional (1-33%) Lift from floor level: Occasional (1-33%)
Sedentary work: Prolonged periods of sitting & physically handle objects up to 10 lbs occasionally.
Stand for 2 hours/day Sit for 12+ hours/day Perform repetitive tasks/motions Have good manual dexterity
Have good eye/hand/foot coordination Hear alarms/telephone/normal voice Have Clarity of Vision
Near Acuity ( Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less) Far Acuity ( Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more) Distinguish colors
WORKING CONDITIONS: Biomedical manufacturing environment. Potential hazards include exposure to:
Hazardous chemicals: Not at all (0%) Blood or body fluids: Not at all (0%)
Extreme conditions, hot or cold: Not at all (0%) Communicable diseases: Not at all (0%)
Saw Blades, needles or other sharp objects: Not at all (0%) Unprotected heights: Not at all (0%) Moving mechanical parts: Not at all (0%) Latex exposure: Not at all (0%)
RTI Surgical - 2 years ago
RTI Biologics Inc. makes use of natural tissues and technologies to produce orthopedic, cardiovascular and other surgical implants that...