Works with the Donor Collection Specialist Trainer until demonstrated competency is achieved with the following job description: works in a highly regulated manufacturing environment to collect product and/or modify blood products and components intended for transfusion. Maintains traceability and trackability for all steps in the manufacturing process. Duties include data handling and input, medical history screening and physical examination of donors and patients, collection of whole blood and apheresis products, set-up of mobile drives, manufacturing and modification of blood products, answering the telephone, performance and documentation of quality control and equipment maintenance, and minor problem solving.
This position reports to the Technical Supervisor. This position may also receive direction and work assignments from designated individuals other than the Technical Supervisor.
1. Greets and accurately registers donors.
2. Obtains and evaluates donor information from allogeneic, autologous, and directed donors.
3. Accurately interprets donor suitability by performing medical history on donors.
4. Performs and evaluates limited physical examination of donors according to SOP.
5. Travels to mobile sites for blood drives and assist Lead Tech in physically setting up and taking down of mobile drive.
6. Prepares and packages whole blood units properly for shipment to processing.
7. Collects whole blood units according to Standard Operating Procedures. Maintains complete and accurate documentation of each procedure.
8. Provides complete donor care including pre and post-donation information, monitoring of donor comfort during the procedure, and donor and care following reactions. Accurately documents all donor reactions.
9. Provides cardiopulmonary resuscitation and requests emergency care when necessary.
10. Takes proper action when blood or product storage refrigerators, freezer, or platelet incubator alarms sound.
11. Performs and documents quality control and equipment maintenance within predetermined parameters.
12. Complies with safety and biohazard regulation as outlined in the Laboratory Safety Manual.
1. Answers telephone calls in a timely and courteous manner. Refer problems or issues to appropriate individuals.
2. Maintains work area. Cleans bench tops, donor chairs, and equipment after each spill, and daily at the end of the work shift. Documents as required.
3. Obtains supplies from storeroom insuring that oldest stock is used first and proper procedures are followed.
4. Attends laboratory meetings and in-services as required.
5. Remains current in all procedures. Completes all competency requirements within stated timeframe.
6. Observes principles of data security and patient confidentiality.
7. Maintains ethical standards in the performance of testing and in interactions with donors, patients, co-workers, and other health care professionals.
8. Maintains open and effective communication with personnel in work teams, and with members or other teams throughout the organization.
9. Maintains timely and effective communication with management to ensure that all potential problems or issues are identified.
10. Demonstrates adaptability by embracing changes in the laboratory with a positive attitude. Provides constructive criticism for modification of laboratory procedures and policies.
11. Demonstrates professional demeanor, in personal appearance and behavior, in all work-related interactions inside and outside of the workplace.
12. Performs telephone recruiting of donors when needed.
13. Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Will be required to pass the ARUP Donor Collection Specialist Examination within 9 months of hire
Physical and other requirements
- One year of experience in a clinical laboratory, blood bank, or blood collection facility
- One year of previous customer service experience
- Six months of previous phlebotomy experience
Employee is expected to work variable shifts and at different locations (Research Park, Sandy Donor Center, and blood drives). In addition, Employee is expected to be flexible to work holidays and weekends, when needed. Hired employee will also be cross-trained in the components area on minor tasks.
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to work variable schedule as required by mobile blood drives and all required overtime
- Fine motor coordination
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to travel to mobile sites
- Legible handwriting
- Strong attention to detail
- Compliance with all regulatory and documentation requirements, including current Good Manufacturing Practices 21CFR Parts 600-680 and 21CFR Parts 200-299
- Ability to organize work, to meet deadlines, and to work under stressful condition
- Absolute integrity in the accurate identification of samples, test performance, and reporting of results
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extensive periods of time
- Good visual acuity including color perception
ARUP Laboratories - 15 months ago
The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands...