Operates Air Force Village (AFV) Foundation buses and minivans, transporting residents between the Village I and Village II campuses, to various locations on Lackland Air Force Base, and in and around San Antonio on scheduled and unscheduled trips. Operates mechanical lifts and renders assistance to residents with getting in and out of vehicles, as necessary. Provides excellent customer service and demonstrates sound driving skills to ensure that residents are transported in a safe, comfortable, and convenient manner.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to deal sensitively with elderly, frail residents while providing excellent customer service. Must display tact and courtesy with residents and maintain a professional demeanor in interaction with co-workers, supervisors, and others, and be able to function effectively as a team member with co-workers and supervisors. Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand verbal and written instructions given in English.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Required: High school diploma or equivalent. Preferred: At least one year of work experience as a driver; preferably in a health care, retirement facility, or nursing home environment.
EQUIPMENT AND COMPUTER OPERATIONS: Must possess the demonstrated ability to drive Village vehicles (cars, minivans, and buses) in a safe and efficient manner. The use of mechanical lifts and moving/storing of wheelchairs and walkers during transportation is an essential part of this job.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED/PREFERRED: Required: Must be at least 25 years of age, have a current commercial driver’s license with passenger endorsement and a good driving record, and remain insurable through the AFV insurance carriers. Preferred: Ongoing education is encouraged.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides safe and comfortable transportation for residents while maintaining excellent customer service and meeting strict schedules, and f ollows and observes all safety regulations and guidelines.
2. Assists passengers entering and exiting the bus, operates the wheelchair lift (on vehicles so equipped) to load/unload passenger(s) in wheelchairs or other mobility devices, and safely stows away all equipment before moving the vehicle.
3. Drives the vehicle in accordance with proper vehicle operating procedures, all laws, Village guidelines, and prescribed safety practices.
4. Assists passengers in loading and off-loading packages.
5. Maintains accountability for passengers to assure all are transported to and returned from their destinations at the proper times, using sign-up sheets and communicating and coordinating with other drivers and Front Desk staff.
6. Enforces all passenger safety rules; advises Supervisor of any issue(s) pertaining to residents who refuse to comply with safety rules.
7. Provides courier service to pick up and deliver parcels, correspondence to and between stops on scheduled routes and elsewhere on both a scheduled and unscheduled basis, as scheduled by the Supervisor.
8. Maintains vehicles driven, i.e. disposing of trash, vacuuming, and washing, to assure they remain in safe and presentable condition at all times.
9. Performs daily checks of vehicles; reports any deficiencies or operating problems to Maintenance immediately.
10. Complies with any and all Texas Department of Public Safety guidelines while driving vehicles, including but not limited to: maintaining safe driving speeds and safe distances between vehicles, use of safety restraints, etc.
11. Performs safety checks on driven vehicles; reports maintenance and repair problems to the Supervisor immediately and submits a work order.
12. Reports all traffic violations or accidents to Supervisor immediately.
13. Assists, when available, in response to fire, medical, or equipment emergency alarms.
14. Consults with Supervisor on any situation involving exception to established policy/procedure.
15. Additional duties may be assigned as needed, normally to assist in covering the Front Desk for short durations.
16. Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
INTERNAL CONTROL: Within the scope of position duties, responsible for seeing that operations are effective and efficient, assets are safeguarded, and applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures are complied with. This position will handle confidential information and must treat such with appropriate sensitivity.
PHYSICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS: Work is generally performed in a bus or minivan; however, there are periods of exposure to the elements of weather throughout the workday. The incumbent must have strength and mobility to help ambulatory passengers to get on and off the bus or in and out of cars/vans, maneuver passengers in wheelchairs on and off a mechanical lift, push wheelchair-bound passengers weighing up to 200 pounds distances up to 100 feet, and occasionally lift and transfers of light loads of less than 30 pounds. Bending, squatting and reaching are necessary. Traveling between the two campuses and in the greater San Antonio area is an essential part of this job. Few environmental hazards are present, although the threat of communicable disease exists. Mild cleaning products, waxes, and soaps are used in the immediate area. Mild pesticides are used periodically to control bug infestation.
WORK SCHEDULE: Core work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; however, special projects, assignments, and events may require working additional hours to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
WORK LOCATION: Primary base of operations is the Village II Front Desk area. Buses are driven locally in the San Antonio area, primarily between the two Village locations, Lackland Air Force Base, local shopping areas, and to/from medical appointments.
ATTIRE/DRESS CODE: Uniform consists of khaki-colored or dark blue or black work pants and polo shirt. No sleeveless or collarless tops are allowed. Close-toed shoes with non-slip soles are required. Name tag must be worn at all times. See employee handbook for specific guidelines. It is the intention of AFV to ensure that employees maintain a neat and professional appearance at all times while on duty.
RANGE OF PAY: Dependent upon qualifications and experience, with the intent to be competitive within the market.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.
Blue Skies of Texas
- 3 years ago - save job
Air Force Villages are private, not-for-profit corporations located in San Antonio, Texas.
We are dedicated to providing retired and...