POSITION OVERVIEW: This position is an opportunity to play a significant role in the alignment and development of K-4 college preparatory curriculum. The Elementary Dual Language Coordinator (English/Spanish) will provide curriculum and instruction support to KIPP Austin Elementary schools as they work to ensure that each student is able to reach his or her academic potential with a particular focus on supporting K-3 instruction in 2013-14 and the development of the dual language program for grade 4 2014-15. The Elementary Dual Language Coordinator is responsible for five main areas: a) development of Language Arts standards and assessments in both English and Spanish, b) analyzing data in order to modify curriculum and assessment to meet students’ needs, c) providing professional development to support the sharing of best practices in dual language instruction, d) ensuring compliance with federal and state bilingual and ESL program requirements, e) working with school leaders (principals, assistant principals, grade level and department chairs) to support teacher coaching. The Elementary Dual Language Coordinator will work collaboratively with other content area coordinators, the Director of Curriculum and other members of the Academic team including the Chief Academic Officer and the Director of Special Education, to advise principals and teachers on developing instructional strategies and intervention programs to support the learning of all students.
Reports to: Director of Curriculum
Compensation: The salary range for this role is 50K-65K. Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level expertise in the classroom as indicated in past performance with students. A competitive benefits package is also offered.
Elementary Dual Language Coordinator candidates will have…
• Bachelor’s degree (required), master’s degree (preferred)
• Prior experience in aligning standards and creating common assessments and in leading adults in the creation of curricula;
• At least 3 years of experience teaching in a dual language setting to historically underserved students required; 5 years or more of teaching experience in K-2 preferred
• Achieved significant academic gains as a teacher in his or her own right;
• Native or near-native level fluency in oral and written communication in both Spanish and English
• Ability to accurately translate curriculum and assessments into English and Spanish using academic language;
• Experience leading professional development or teacher collaboration in a dual language setting;
• Experience in analyzing data and using results to modify curricula to ensure increased student mastery;
• Strong knowledge of pedagogical practices to ensure high level engagement and academic mastery for students with low academic performance
• Prior experience developing units and lessons with the end goal in mind, using standards to develop lessons and familiarity with multiple forms of assessment;
• Knowledge of and experience with backwards designed curricular models
All KIPP Austin staff members demonstrate the following:
• Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the KIPP Austin mission and KIPP Austin community
• A clear, authentic and transparent sense of your strengths and weaknesses as a professional; an ability to easily adjust tone
• Demonstrate a commitment to continue professional development individually
• Ability to break down complex information into comprehensive parts, ask questions, synthesize and analyze
• Willingness to be flexible and to go above and beyond to meet the needs of KIPP Austin students
• Work with teachers, school leaders, and regional leaders to create and improve dual language (English/Spanish) literacy curriculum resources:
o Common and K-4 vertically aligned local standards that address state and national standards
o Common assessments aligned to local, state and college readiness standards
• Work with the Academic team and school teams on the creation and implementation of network-wide assessments
• Analyze student achievement data individually and with school leaders to make instructional decisions based on student performance
• Lead and facilitate professional development around analyzing data, planning and best practices in dual language instruction.
• Monitor bilingual program compliance in K-4 and content base ESL program compliance in 5-12 and provide training for regional leaders, school leaders and campus assessment coordinators on LPAC and assessment requirements
• Collaborate with principals in determining appropriate support for teachers including securing both internal and external resources, professional development and materials
• Provide instructional coaching with school leaders to cultivate a standards-based, data and results-oriented culture; provide specific strategies for improved instructional delivery; provide feedback on scope and sequences, unit plans, lessons and assessments that align with KIPP Austin Public Schools and college readiness standards and model instructional strategies.
• Serve as an expert in national trends and best practices in dual language program development and instructional strategy for historically underachieving students
• As a leader on the academic team, make recommendations on best practices for supporting curriculum alignment across all grade levels, courses and individual schools
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.