IRB / RESEARCH SPECIALIST
AT FLAGSTAFF MEDICAL CENTER
This is an exempt full time 40 hour per week position. Days shift.
The IRB/Research Specialist is a professional position working alongside the NAH IRB Manager & EBP Project Coordinator. This is a collaborative position primarily responsible for supporting IRB operations and research, with secondary support provided to evidence-based practice. S/he is responsible for the management of a caseload of applications submitted for IRB review. S/he is well-versed in federal and state laws and hospital policies and procedures and regulations associated with human subject protection. This individual oversees and coordinates daily operational activities and efforts related to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) related to the submission, review, and approval of research studies. S/he serves as a resource for regulatory and ethical advice and provides guidance and direction for IRB members, investigators, IRB staff, institutional officials, and the research community. S/he oversees preparation of presentations, education and training materials related to the IRB and research. S/he acts as the IRBNet (online submission system)liaison for the department. The individual in this position maintains systems and procedures to assist investigators and staff with IRB, HIPAA, and research compliance. S/he also serves as a resource to assist in determining whether or not a study requires IRB review. As secondary support for evidence-based practice activities, s/he coordinates pre-award tasks associated with EBP/Research Grants, which include proposal submissions, ensuring compliance with pre-award regulations and guidelines, marketing and promotions. During the NAH IRB Manager’s absence, s/he is responsible for the IRB Department.
-Bachelor's degree required.
-Masters degree - preferred.
-Training in IRB regulations/research/evidence-based practice processes - preferred
- 1 - 2 years previous experience and/or education in IRB operations, human subjects protection, bioethics or research - required.
- Working knowledge of federal and state regulations governing human subjects research - required.
- Previous experience working in IRB/research - required.
- Previous experience working in evidence-based practice - preferred.
- Previous experience in project/program development and management – preferred.
- Completion of the CITI Human Subjects Program - required within 30 days of hire.
- Certified IRB Professional, Certified IRB Manager or comparable certification – required within 1 year of hire.
Skills - required:
- Exceptional analytical ability to apply knowledge of federal regulations and institutional policy to research proposals.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to accuracy to effectively and efficiently manage multiple priorities and a high volume workload.
- Capability to work independently while collaborating with others on as needed basis to ensure human subject protection, regulatory compliance, and efficient IRB operations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a capacity to work well with multiple constituencies of various educational and social backgrounds.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills in a conference, classroom, or training environment.
- Ability to maintain documentation and databases as well as provide guidance to staff and colleagues regarding IRBNet usage, training modules and other computer/technical resources.
- Strong proof reading and written communication skills.
- Superior skills utilizing Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Project, PowerPoint, Word, Excel) as well as Adobe Professional, webinar programs, Blackboard-type training systems, and other similar applications.
- Ability to meet production within established time and quality standard.
- Motivated, has ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to know when to refer issues to Supervisor and have the ability to make accurate and appropriate independent judgments, but also accept direct supervision.
- Ability to deal with high stress and high demand work environment.
Skills - preferred:
- Experience using IRBnet.
- Competency with data entry/analysis research software.
- Healthcare experience.
- Able to design and develop marketing materials, flyers, posters, etc.
- Website design/maintenance.
Serving half the state of Arizona and employing nearly 3,000 people—including 300 physicians—Northern Arizona Healthcare is the...