The individual chosen for this position will be hired by Northern Illinois University for a project with Re: New DeKalb for the DeKalb Farmers’ Market. This position will be responsible for performing the following services on Thursdays from May 30, 2013 to September 26, 2013. This position will staff the Market Tent at the DeKalb Farmers’ Market in Downtown DeKalb. This is a temporary “Extra Help” position.
• Participation in training sessions provided by ReNew DeKalb/DeKalb Farmers’ Market Manager beginning May 30, 2013 in all aspects of farmers market management and organization, establishment and implementation of EBT/SNAP programs, tracking and reporting of EBT/SNAP transactions.
• Provision of EBT/SNAP service at the DeKalb Farmers’ Market, one day a week. Provision of service includes transportation, set up and take down of tent and equipment, performing and tracking EBT transactions, daily reconciliation of EBT transactions, and reimbursement to vendors of previous weeks’ EBT sales.
• Onsite training of vendors and farmers, and education of SNAP clients, as to proper usage of EBT/SNAP system.
• Ongoing reporting to DeKalb Farmers’ Market Manager of concerns, needs (including supplies, etc.) to ensure proper functioning of equipment and success of the program.
• Periodic meetings with DeKalb Farmers’ Market Market Manager.
The individuals hired for the project must:
• Be able to provide professional onsite implementation and management of a wireless EBT system
• Be able to meet the physical demands of the job (carrying a tent, tent weights, and other equipment, setting up and taking down equipment)
• Be able to ensure accurate bookkeeping and reimbursement of vendors
• Be able to work outdoors in all types of weather
• Be trustworthy and dependable
• Be a hard worker
• Have strong communication skills
• Have a pleasant personality
• Be able to work independently and with a team
• Be able to troubleshoot
• Be a strong and dependable representative of Northern Illinois University, Re: New DeKalb and the DeKalb Farmers’ Market
• Be available to works all Thursdays June 6 - September 26, 2013, 10:30am-6:30pm
Re: New DeKalb/DeKalb Farmers’ Market will provide training in the following areas:
• The SNAP/EBT program process, rules and regulations
• Implementing and administering SNAP/EBT programs at farmers markets and nontraditional fresh food markets
• Tracking of SNAP/EBT transactions to ensure accurate bookkeeping and farmer/vendor reimbursement
• Operation of EBT machine (including manual SNAP voucher transactions)
• Problem solving and troubleshooting
• Introduction to local food system – farmers, food artisans, non-profit organizations, and public agencies
• Customer service
• Development of interpersonal skills to maintain farmer/vendor, shopper, and partner relationships
Please submit resume and references to the following by Friday, May 10, 2013:
or mail to:
Center for Governmental Studies
Attn: Lindsey Engelsman
148 N. Third Street
DeKalb, IL 60115
PLEASE NOTE: Current NIU students are not eligible for extra help employment.