Under the supervision of the ED Manager or designee, assists in planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating the activities occurring in the nursing station by performing clerical/PCA duties and maintaining the physical environment of the area.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
Must adhere to all DCH Health System Policies and Procedures
All other duties as assigned
1. Coordinates nursing unit functions to provide for a smooth operation of all nursing/patient care activities by:
a. Obtains old medical records as appropriate;
b. Arranges for transport of patients to and from other departments within the hospital.
c. Responds appropriately in emergency situations by anticipatory notification of appropriate individuals/
department; e.g. ED physician, ED Charge Nurse, Chaplain, Laboratory, Radiology, EKG, Respiratory
d. Implements various ED protocols (such as trauma alert, Cath Lab protocol, HIV/HBV exposure) and
follows through without direct supervision by RN.
e. Maintains control register log book and other required log books.
f. Assists Asst. ED Manager or Charge Nurse with daily list of on-call physicians.
g. Assists in scheduling tests and procedures.
h. Assists in answering Medical Control equipment when needed and promptly notifies RN and/ or ED
i. Communicates various patient care needs to ED staff appropriately and promptly; assists with answering
patient call system.
j. Assists with notifying appropriate personnel of changes regarding various patient care activities.
k. Maintains ongoing communications with and relays important information to ED physicians and staff
l. Assists with admission, discharge and/or transfer of patients.
2. Correctly and accurately assembles, maintains and disassembles patient medical record by:
a. Organizes and maintains patient charts; assures proper order and location; incorporates various reports into
b. Disassembles discharged patient charts, assuring completeness of chart upon discharge.
c. Properly identifies charts making sure reports and forms are posted correctly.
d. Charts lab work and other reports as appropriate;
e. Notes appropriate clerical information on medical record.
f. Verifies performance and timely reporting of various diagnostic tests, notifying appropriate ED staff when
3. Maintains a well organized, well supplied nursing unit by:
a. Ensures all supplies and equipment are available and operable.
b. Maintains cleanliness and organization of nurses station/unit.
c. Keeps various manuals and books in good repair.
d. Assists with equipment repair or maintenance requests.
4. Demonstrates a working knowledge of the order entry process and transcription of physician orders by:
a. Accurately interprets and enters various diagnostic and/or therapeutic requests/physician orders into
computer and notifies appropriate departments; seeks assistance if clarification needed.
5. Watches cardiac monitors, notifies staff of changes in rhythm, or if patients are off monitor.
6. Functions as a receptionist on the nursing unit by:
a. Relays messages/important calls to appropriate person in prompt, accurate manner.
b. Communicates with physicians, ancillary departments, patients, and visitors.
c. Assists in notification of various community agencies and other health care agencies as requested by the ED
Physician or nurse.
d. Contacts private physician or specialty consultants as requested by ED physicians; verifies timely response
and manages accordingly
e. Answers and appropriately routes all incoming calls via telephone communications system; utilizing
courteous, helpful manner.
7. Provides general nursing care to include but not limited to:
a. Positioning, lifting and turning patients
b. Applying /utilizing special equipment
c. Performs or assists with various orthopedic procedures/splint application
d. Assist physicians with examinations, treatments, special test and procedures as directed
e. Ambulates patient
f. Removal of foley catheters
g. Non-medicated enemas
h. Application of heat and cold
i. Care of the incontinent patient
j. Skin care to the immobilized patient
k Removal of saline lock
l. Performing finger stick blood sugars
m. Placing patient on cardiac monitors
n. Set up of oxygen per nasal cannula at 2L/min and /or maintains current oxygen setting
o. Measures and records temperature, pulse, respirations, O2 saturation per pulse oximetry, weight, height,
blood pressure and intake/output measurements.
8. Documents data collection on the patient on the appropriate record.
9. Responds to patient call bell in a timely manner, anticipates patient’s needs, and makes rounds to assigned
10. Assists patients with handling and care of clothing and other personal property as defined by hospital policy.
11. Collects, labels and transports laboratory specimens correctly.
12. Assists with transporting patients to and from various departments if requested.
13. Reports any changes observed in condition or behavior of patients and unusual incidents and ensures
appropriate documentation is completed.
14. Knowledgeable regarding age specific and developmental-specific needs of the neonate, pediatric, adolescent,
adult and geriatric patients; including safety needs and fall prevention measures. Works appropriately with
persons of varied ages and sociological background.
15. Assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment by cleaning Utility rooms, cleaning equipment and
preparing for disinfection or sterilization, reporting equipment that is out of order, reporting other problems
to Nurse Manager or Assistant Nurse Manager. Appropriate handling of clean and dirty linen and storing
of supplies on the unit.
16.Attends all required inservice programs; attends additional programs to improve skills and knowledge.
17.Assists with orientation of new personnel as needed.
18. Assists with staffing coordination as needed.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Experience Required:
Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
Must have typing skills and successfully complete orientation.
Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learing management software and intranet.
Must be able to read, write legibly, speak and comprehend English.
DCH Health System - 12 months ago
As a community-owned, not-for-profit organization, DCH Health System is committed to providing quality health care services to all residents...