The Education Mentor works in the Day Reporting Center guiding and assisting adolescent male offenders pursuing their high school diploma through the CPS virtual classroom program.
• Assists with lesson plans to support or further the education of adolescent male clients.
• Provides students with individual or small group tutoring, as well as encouragement and support.
• Follows up with individual students to encourage and support learning efforts, and promotes attainment of maximum potential from education experience.
• Monitors students’ progress on assignments, as well as quiz and test results.
• Supervises students during class, breaks, and activities and ensures their compliance with rules of behavior and classroom policies.
• Guides and assists students in adhering to policies and rules, intervening as necessary to control or channel inappropriate behaviors. Notifies Sheriff’s Security, Case Investigator, Program Manager, and/or Clinical Supervisor of students requiring further interventions or discipline.
• Acts as liaison with Chicago Public School staff to ensure students meet their graduation requirements; regularly communicates with AVENTA Learning online education instructors.
• Performs related classroom and administrative duties.
1. Knowledge of high school subject matter [including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, etc…] in order to provide tutoring.
2. Ability to set rules and boundaries in order to maintain classroom order.
3. Computer literacy.
4. Bachelor's degree preferred.
5. Must possess the patience and commitment necessary in working with substance abuse population.
SHIFT: Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 3:30pm
~Gateway Foundation is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V).~