EIC’s are a rare breed and Viacom Media Networks has an opening right now for an "Engineer in Charge" to work on one of their Mobile Production Units, coordinating and performing engineering operations and maintenance in support of the production process. The Remote Operations team is based in Nashville, TN and all personnel are deployed from this location. Position requires flexible hours including working late nights, long work days, overnights and weekends, plus position requires extensive travel.
- Works closely with Tech Managers and Production Management to ensure all engineering related items are delivered as needed for the production.
- Adjusts, aligns, and integrates all elements of truck equipment inventory to provide a mobile production facility as required by events.Elements include, but not limited to cameras, lenses, VTR’s and other video recording devices, Character Generators, RF gear, PL systems, telco equipment, HVAC, power regulation, audio & video distribution, routers, patch fields, computers, microphones, audio consoles, and terminal gear.
- Translates specific needs of creative staff to satisfy television production requirements.
- Identifies, equips, plans and prioritizes production driven maintenance needs.
- Reads and understands patchfield layouts and signal flow diagrams.
- Understands, configures, aligns, adjusts, and maintains the broadcast transmission including audio, video, phone and fiber systems.
- Strong knowledge of video and audio file formats and structures for both import from and export to post-production and ip-delivered sources and destinations.
- Installs, programs and maintains a large-scale communications matrix, interruptible-fold-back systems (IFB).
- Responsible for telephone interface (analog and digital)
- Modifies existing equipment, layout, design and maintenance of electrical circuits including component level and surface mount repairs on all broadcast equipment.
- Maintains on-board spare parts inventories, ships equipment for repairs/exchange, keeps records of software versions in computer controlled equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of both hardware based video encoders such as Elemental Technologies and software based encoders is required.
- Must have in depth knowledge of video encoding standards such as MPEG, H.26x and remain current on changing technology standards.
- Supports others in the process of video streaming during live events.
- Evaluates new technology and recommends purchases.
- 4 years technical college or equivalent work experience; some college or technical school preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Mobile production operations and prior television production experience working in a mobile setting.
- Experience in electronics including reading patchfields, wiring diagrams, circuits and flow charts.
- Strong computer skills include documentation, layout and design utilizing computer aided design (CAD) software, data base management, and spreadsheet software.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the principles of broadcast communications.
- Experience with various formats of multitrack audio recorders.
- Must possess excellent organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Proven ability to maintain a calm demeanor when working under pressure.
- Must be able to travel extensively and work a non-traditional schedule on a regular basis.
Viacom - 19 months ago