Department : Engineering - Platform
Reports to : Platform Developer
Location : Portland, OR
Summary of Role
Do you have a passion for Open Source software? Do you want to write software that isn’t a toy or prototype, but is instead is relied upon every day by the entire company?
Puppet Labs is hiring an Engineering Intern to build a production-grade, always-up, “we can count on it” backend system for capturing and reporting product usage metrics.
Good understanding of algorithms, data structures, functional programming, and general software craftsmanship (ideally has worked with a lisp, and knows the JVM)
Knowledge of HTTP protocol
Able to build a web application
Able to use revision control (preferably git)
Familiarity with relational databases / SQL
Please include a cover letter with your application describing how you feel your experience is a fit for the qualifications of this position. In addition, please answer the following questions:
1) Why are you interested in working for Puppet Labs?
2) Describe the technology stack of a project you worked on. What worked well? What would you change?
3) What's your favorite programming language and why? Compare/contrast it with the least favorite you’ve used.
4) Give an example of an object or tool (non-software) that you feel is extremely well designed. What do you like about it?
Include a working piece of code, in any language, that does the following:
Working for Puppet Labs
- Make an HTTP request to http://something.puppetlabs.com/analytics-intern
- Supply a query parameter of “email” with a value of your email address
- Print out the value of the X-Answer header
- Include the output of a run of your program
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.
Puppet Labs - 19 months ago
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility...