ESOL Instructor Part-Time
Under the supervision of the Director of the Central Queens Y, and within Samuel Field Y framework of a holistic (social, emotional, physical, and cognitive) Human Development Model of a family-supported, strength-focused, and hope-engendering practice, an individual hired as the ESOL Instructor, Part-Time, for our Adult Literacy program will report directly to the Director of Workforce Initiatives. This person will provide vocational English instruction to Speakers of Other Languages including refugees, political asylees, DACA eligible individuals, and recent immigrants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The ESOL Instructor will:
Conduct classes to teach principles, techniques, or methods of the English language.
Design a dynamic vocational ESOL curriculum and prepare materials for class activities.
Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
Establish clear objectives for all lessons and communicate those objectives to students.
Reinforce basic grammar into the curriculum that builds a foundation for employment.
Substantially improve student’s oral communication skills through presentations, readings, dialogues, and a variety of other methods.
Observe and evaluate students' work to determine progress and make suggestions for improvement .
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EDUCATION
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Master’s Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages required, New York State TESOL Certification preferred.
- At least two (2) years experience teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Must have experience working with diverse populations: immigrants, youth, seniors, and low-income individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to teach others to use the English language.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics.
- Must have knowledge of human behavior, individual differences in ability, personality, and interests, learning, and motivation.
- Must demonstrate cultural competency and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to empathize with Speakers of Other Languages.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, networking, and transactional skills.
Availability to work evenings.
Central Queens Y - 30+ days ago