Cleans, sanitizes, disinfects, and services patient rooms, clinical treatment areas, and other areas of the building according to established procedures. Moves furniture, equipment, and supplies to, from, and within assigned areas. Performs a variety of other environmental services duties to maintain the hospital in a neat, orderly, and sanitary condition. Provides excellent customer service.
Reports to: EVS Supervisor
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
JOB REQUIREMENTS & CHARACTERISTICS
- Performs daily cleaning of the patient rooms and patient care units to prevent the spread of infections and to ensure satisfaction of patients and guests. Follows the established 12-step process when cleaning patient rooms and performing terminal cleaning of patient rooms after discharge.
- Cleans assigned offices, departments, meeting rooms, and public areas as required, including restrooms, floors, furniture, fixtures, doors and door frames, ceilings, medical equipment, televisions, windows and window sills, and other items found in assigned areas, following approved processes and with appropriate cleaning equipment and cleaning agents.
- Prepares cleaning solutions as needed according to established policy.
- E mpties trash and hazardous waste according to established policy.
- R eplenishes assigned areas with supplies of soap, paper towels, toilet paper, and other disposable items.
- Re plenishes linen carts, returns soiled linen, and delivers clean linen.
- M aintains cleanliness of hospital grounds.
- Moves furniture and equipment between rooms. Sets up furniture and equipment within rooms as needed.
- Completes special environmental services-related projects and other duties as assigned including floor cleaning and carpet maintenance.
- Attends internal meetings and in-services and participates in mandatory reviews of policies and procedures.
- Completes required paperwork for quality assurance, plant work-orders, and intra-departmental communication.
- Exemplifies the RML REACH (Service Excellence) culture by demonstrating respect, excellence, appreciation, concern and honor in all interactions with patients, families and co-workers.
- Follows behavioral expectations for departmental and hospital wide REACH (Service Excellence) initiatives. Places “Strive for 5” and “We Strive for Excellence in Cleaning” cards in patient rooms. Asks patients and visitors: “is there anything else I can do to clean your room to your satisfaction?” Participates in Patient Care Services call-light initiatives.
Skills & Abilities
Ability to positively communicate and interact with patients, visitors, and other employees.
Ability to work independently, without direct supervision.
Physical ability necessary to frequently lift moderate to heavy weights of linen/trash, push carts that are loaded with supplies and/or linens, and move furniture using appropriate moving equipment.
Physical stamina to repeatedly perform tasks.
Ability to work off-shifts, including weekends and evenings.
Previous work experience, sufficient to demonstrate personal responsibility.
Knowledge & Experience
Ability to understand oral instructions.
Ability to read and understand written assignments, policies, memos, and MSDS sheets.
Ability to write instructions on work orders and inter-shift and inter-departmental communications.
Environmental services experience
Experience in a health care environment.
Regular exposure to dust, dirt, unpleasant odors, etc.
Regular handling of infectious, biological, and sharp unclean materials.
Regular contact with strong cleaning and disinfecting solutions.
Occasionally works with heavy machinery, e.g., floor strippers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated with it.