Ithaca College is seeking applications for a full-time Executive Director to set a vision for student and alumni engagement that strengthens philanthropy, volunteer commitment and enrollment. The Executive Director will oversee the strategic development, implementation and management of comprehensive student, alumni, parent, and Friends of Ithaca College relations programs. The overarching goal of these programs is to enhance active participation and involvement of these constituent groups. The Executive Director will also provide leadership and operational oversight to staff in the implementation of programs, services, activities, and events bringing various constituent groups together on campus and regionally and oversee as well as actively manage a comprehensive volunteer relations program. The Executive Director will travel, create and monitor measurable goals for programs and access both activities and impact. The Executive Director will provide leadership to the Alumni Association Board of Directors and participate in and assist with other events sponsored by the Division of Institutional Advancement. Serve as a senior member of the Vice President’s Leadership Team, providing leadership and mentoring to Institutional Advancement staff colleagues and partners in our work.
1) Provide strategic direction and leadership to engage students, alumni, parents, and friends of Ithaca with each other and students, faculty and staff. Craft strategic goals and priorities for alumni programming, consistent with the goals and priorities of the Collegeâs IC 20/20 vision and the Division of Institutional Advancement and with the evolving needs and interests of the constituents the College serves.
2) Identify the points of evaluation, metrics, and analyses necessary for the assessment and management of programs. Using the feedback from Eduventures, evaluate, strengthen and enhance existing programming, and develop and implement new programs designed to enhance the connection of our alumni to the college community, to foster life-long learning and engagement with, and to deliver relevant programs and services to alumni in return for their engagement. Prepare reports and analyses as needed to reflect progress, trends and appropriate recommendations for future alumni programs.
3) Work with colleagues in Advancement Communications and Marketing Communications to design, produce and evaluate an effective marketing plan for programs to internal and external constituents.
4) Provide strategic direction and oversight to programs to identify, recruit, train, and support the expanding network of alumni volunteers working on behalf of the alumni relations programs. Ensure effective staff leadership and support for the class, club, and affinity group organizations involved in the governance and support of Ithaca Collegeâs alumni programs, and engage leaders in effective strategies to maximize their potential and focus their talents.
5. Develop and manage a comprehensive volunteer relations program to include creating and managing a campus volunteer managers group, conducting meetings throughout the year, and communicating regularly with volunteer managers both within Institutional Advancement and in other departments on campus. Develop and implement procedures and protocol for coding and tracking volunteers in Advance and conduct training sessions for volunteer managers on alumni volunteer tracking.
6. Manage staff who oversee regional, class and reunion, affinity group, mentoring, student and admissions relations programs and are responsible for the development and implementation of programming, services, activities and events designed to engage alumni in a manner supportive of increased alumni engagement and philanthropy. Recommend various personnel actions including, but not limited to; hiring, merit recommendations, vacation schedules, and performance evaluations.
6. Serve as ex officio member of the Alumni Association Board of Directors and as primary staff support providing organizational expertise. Manage and develop the Alumni Board of Directors to include setting strategic direction for the group in collaboration with the Board. Work closely with the officers to develop meaningful program and volunteer experiences. Play a key role with Alumni Board leadership in developing a strong culture of philanthropy through the Ithaca College Annual Fund and support for capital and endowment projects.
8. Oversee the creation of a comprehensive student engagement program that educates and informs students about their responsibilities as alumni while still on campus.
9. Manage program budgets for all areas of Alumni Relations. Create and implement an assessment program to both analyze investment and assess which engagement programs are most effective with alumni.
10. Travel as necessary to become the face of Alumni Relations. Attend and participate in on-campus and regional events as a representative of the Office of Alumni Relations. Correspond with and visit prospects and donors, especially those willing and able to volunteer or participate in the outer ring system as a volunteer board member.
Position/Job Responsibilities continued
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of seven years of experience in alumni relations programs, or experience in education, non-profit management or a field or industry that emphasizes relationship building, stewardship, and overseeing event-driven programming and communications; excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated success in developing alumni relations and/or general advancement programs, an in-depth understanding of advancement and development programs, and the ability to integrate alumni relations programs with the college’s development priorities and initiatives; proven leadership skills; knowledge and understanding of relevant technologies used in support of communicating and marketing alumni programs, engaging alumni and encouraging participation in networking and alumni programming, and managing and measuring results; extensive supervisory experience, the ability to lead and motivate a diverse staff, and a strong commitment to personal and professional development; proven ability to work and collaborate with volunteers; willingness and ability to travel extensively on behalf of Ithaca College, to maintain a high level of visibility with our alumni population, and to participate regularly in alumni events and activities are required.
Ithaca College stands among the top national comprehensive colleges and is highly regarded for its commitments to the integration of liberal arts and professional programs, curricular innovation, community engagement, sustainability, and cultural diversity. A 12:1 student faculty ratio allows for a substantial degree of individual attention, yet the College provides a diversity of educational opportunities generally found only at larger institutions. The College places great emphasis on experiential and hands-on learning and offers a special and distinctive environment that combines an enriching classroom experience with exposure to research and other opportunities for experiential and collaborative learning outside of the typical academic setting.
Founded in 1892, this private, residential college enrolls approximately 6,400 undergraduate and 400 graduate students and offers more than 100 degree programs. Its modern 650-acre campus is a focal point of a vibrant college town, which includes neighboring Cornell University. The campus overlooks Cayuga Lake in the spectacular Finger Lakes region. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger’s as one of the top 10 places to live in the U.S. To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at www.ithaca.edu.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants should apply on-line at apply.icjobs.org and attach a cover letter, resume, and a list containing the contact information for at least three professional references. Questions about the online application process should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at 607-274-8000. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position has been filled.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Ithaca College - 11 months ago