Works under the direct supervision of the Director of Health Services, this position provides administrative and secretarial support for the director.
EEOC CODE: 60
1. Three (3) years of progressively responsible executive secretarial experience; and
2. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Business or Public Administration, Organization Management or closely related Business field.
3. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED)
1. Must successfully pass a Typing Assessment.
2. Must successfully pass a Microsoft Office Suites Assessment.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Exercises initiative and independent judgment to determine what tasks and/or assignments can be handled by Administrative staff and/or other Health Department sections.
2. Serves as executive secretary to receive and screen telephone calls and visitors; handles correspondence and monitors the calendar and appointment schedule for the Health Director.
3. Coordinates schedules, plans, and prepares for meetings, internal or external group meetings and other organization functions.
4. Answers citizens and employees' questions; handles complaints, and refers them to another source when necessary.
5. Receives, transmits, and informs Shelby County Administration, and Health Department Administrative and management staff related to policies, administrative decisions, and critical information.
6. Composes and types correspondence requiring individual judgment and other communications of a confidential/sensitive nature.
7. Composes and determines format for a variety of correspondence, memoranda, reports, and other documents.
8. Establishes and maintains office records and correspondence files and handles office administrative matters for the Director's Office; maintains highly confidential files, information, and working papers.
9. Assists in the administration of the office budget
10. Handles incoming and outgoing mail; distributes, routes, and files as required.
11. Maintains inventory of office supplies
12. Performs other clerical duties as assigned or directed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of Health Department practices, and procedures.
2. Knowledge of English grammar and presentation formats.
3. Ability to prepare reports, proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word software applications.
4. Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, orally and in writing.
5. Ability to efficiently plan and organize interoffice procedures.
6. Ability to act with tact and good judgment in dispensing information.
7. Ability to coordinate the work efforts of others.
8. Ability to deal with officials, employees, and the public with courtesy and tact.
9. Skill in summarizing minutes, conferences, etc., and type into proper format.
814 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee 38105
Shelby County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin or handicap status
Shelby County Government participates in E-Verify
Equal Opportunity Employer
Memphis and Shelby County Health Department - 8 months ago
Shelby County Health Care Corporation, dba Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The MED), provides a variety of health care services to the...