Assist and maintain an efficient and profitable added value Ocean Export service scope for Seaboard Solutions. Maintain effective business relationships with foreign and domestic offices/departments and major/assigned accounts. Work and communicate with other members of the Company to create an effective team. Contribute ocean expert knowledge during discussions of critical issues. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applications out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the Liaison with Customer and Ocean Carriers in contract negotiations and protect the customers shipping interests.
- Maintain rate quote information database of pricing information forwarded to customers
- Prepare appropriate ocean shipping documentation, letters of instruction, bill of ladings, EEI (Electronic Export Information), delivery orders, commercial invoices, packing lists, Certificates of origin etc. as well as tracking of shipments.
- Prepare and oversee pick up and deliveries of cargoes per customer’s request.
- Perform cargo bookings and all related tasks for ocean services.
- Work with warehouse operations to track and prepare loading specs of cargoes as per customer requirements and maximum cubic utilization of Ocean Containers.
- Work with customer suppliers to track availability, coordinate pick up and ship orders based on PO Management customer guidelines and identify most effective routing means based on established rate structures and in compliance with all governmental agencies/regulations (Customs, Census Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, Haz-mat regulations, FMC)
- Prepare reports required by customers and invoice all related services performed on shipments.
- Coordinate inland trucking, consolidations, and identify marine insurance requirements.
- Maintain management and overseas offices informed on a regular basis, alerting management of business opportunities, problems /issues.
- Seek additional business opportunities with customers during business.
- Gather and monitor all relevant export documentation needed to ship via ocean.
- Keep current with government regulations pertaining to international commodities shipments, e.g. hazardous materials, customs, foreign country regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- 3 to 5 years experience in the ocean transportation industry from a Freight Forwarder / NVOCC stand point. To include; export documentation, coordinating inland trucking for LCL/FCL (Less/Full Container Load), cargo insurance, and cargo consolidation/deconsolidation.
- Experience in preparation of Electronic Export Information (EEI) (equivalent to SED), Ocean Bill of Lading (MBL & HBL) documents, import arrival notifications, as well as understanding the process of a letter of credit.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of In-bond and Hazardous material process and documentation.
- Intermediate computer skills (in programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Must be able to communicate effectively at an advanced level in English and Spanish (verbal and written).
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills including telephone etiquette and positive customer relations abilities.
- Knowledge of state, federal, and international applicable laws and regulations (Federal Maritime Commission, Census Bureau, interstate Commerce Commission, U.S. Customs, environmental and hazardous, import/export, maritime and Civil Aeronautic Board).
- Demonstrated skills relevant to evaluating rating and pricing information.
- Effective analytical and negotiating skills relevant to rating, pricing and bookings.
- Familiarity with International Commercial Terms (INCOTERMS) and shipping terms.
- Strong time management and organizational skills. Must be able to prioritize and be detail oriented.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, multitask and possess strong initiative.
- Ability to work extended hours, holidays and/or weekends, as needed.
- Ability to think logically and follow procedures and instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and other individuals s/he may have to contact in order to perform her/his job.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries regarding the areas and/or countries s/he works with.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use his fingers.
- The employee frequently is required to talk and/or hear.
- The employee is continuously required to sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Reports directly to Manager of Business Development / Seaboard Solutions.
- Indoors office. Exposed to controlled temperature and office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually busy (many phones in open cubicles).
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change