Children’s and Family Ministry
Early Childhood Coordinator
The Early Childhood Coordinator works closely with the Early Childhood Director in the implementation and development of the needs of the early childhood ministry. The position is a permanent part-time job working up to 15-20 hours per week at the Irvine campus.
Weekend Program Responsibilities
- Assist Early Childhood Director and other Early Childhood team members complete various tasks of the weekend program.
- Work during the 9 and 11am services on Sunday, being the point person for the 9am service and assisting the 11am Coordinator during the 11am service.
- Assess general needs during the program and be able to address those needs in an appropriate way.
- Able to effectively communicate with volunteers and parents of children.
- Work with other staff members of the Children’s & Family Ministry as needed.
Volunteer Recruiting and Staffing
- Responsible for staffing and recruiting volunteers for the 9am service.
- Contact potential and regular volunteers by telephone, postcards, and email.
- Obtain and maintain volunteer information.
- Utilize database for recruiting, attendance and maintaining volunteer information.
- Forecast the needs of early childhood in regard to volunteer staffing.
- Build and maintain relationships with the volunteers.
- Assist with design and implementation of training of volunteers.
- Have a positive attitude and be able to handle difficult situations with a professional demeanor.
- Attend and participate in weekly Early Childhood staff meetings.
- Attend and participate in once a month all-children’s staff meeting.
- Assist other team members on Tuesday nights when department mid-week programs are taking place.
- Participate in Rooted and be available to facilitate a group, if required.
- Attend and participate in department special events and training meetings throughout the year.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities as approved by the Early Childhood Director.
- Work with other team members with cooperation.
- Attend Mariners Church and go to the weekend service each week.
- Possess skills to effectively and efficiently use a computer, Microsoft Office programs, photocopy machine and phone system.
- Able to effectively solve problems with parents and volunteers that have questions or concerns with the policies and procedures of the ministry.
- Able to make decisions on the fly and provide input regarding training, encouragement and shepherding needs of the volunteers.
- Evaluate situations and make appropriate decisions on issues regarding parents and volunteer staffing issues.
- Attend monthly All-Staff meetings and special events, as required by the Early Childhood Director.
- Reporting Relationship: reports to the Early Childhood Director while receiving guidance from the Children’s Pastor.
- Peer Relationships: work closely with other coordinators for mutual encouragement, support, training, developing strategies, and planning. No delegation of job responsibilities is permitted without the direct authorization of the Early Childhood Director.
Conditions of Employment
- It is privilege to serve the Lord in vocational ministry. Those who serve God on the staff at Mariners Church are expected to set a Biblical standard of personal conduct and lifestyle.
- It is required that all staff members are in agreement with the vision and values of Mariners Church and adhere to the guidelines and conditions for employment as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
Qualifications and Expectations
- Intimate and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Interpersonal/management skills - able to supervise, encourage and coach volunteers.
- An understanding of the challenges and opportunities that exist in caring for God's people in the context of a large local church.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize events for the ministry.
- Strong leadership, organizational and time management skills.
- Very strong relational, communication and discretionary skills.
- A degree and/or working in a related field and/or ministry proven experience.
- Maintain a consistent devotional time with God.
- Participation in a support/accountability small group or life group.