This is a part-time position, reporting to the Senior Manager of Family Programs. The Early Childhood Guide will work closely with the Early Childhood Coordinator and Early Childhood Program Lead. The Guide's primary responsibility is assisting families with children aged five years and younger in the Early Explorers Cove. This position requires working one day of every weekend with additional evenings and holidays as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate and welcome all visitors who enter the Early Explorers Cove.
- Plan, prepare and present an educational early childhood program (type and theme to be mutually agreed upon) to Academy visitors twice per month. Program examples would include a story time, program tailored for a particular age or specific theme.
- Inform visitors of the educational materials available and assist in their use daily.
- Interact and present enrichments to Cove guests whenever possible.
- Guide children who are having difficulty with Cove rules, an activity or another child; present a model for caregivers on intervention when these situations arise.
- Maintain order in the Early Explorers Cove by enforcing safety rules and keeping play materials in their proper location.
- Sanitize children's play materials and structures daily, checking for broken items or safety hazards.
- Present early childhood activities in public areas of the Academy (outside of the Early Explorers Cove) to families with children aged eleven and under when needed.
- Attend early childhood staff meetings and Academy staff trainings.
- Follow all Academy safety regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree (A.A.) in progress or completed required.
- A desire to work with children and their caregivers is required.
- Experience working directly with preschool aged children in a group setting is preferred .
- Experience working with the public is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Commitment to Early Childhood Education.
- Responsible, enthusiastic and creative.
- Customer service oriented.
- A strong interest in science and natural history.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member with other staff and volunteers as well as independently.
- Ability to work well with the public, especially families/caregivers with children aged five and under.
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 75% of the time. Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at http://calacademy.snaphire.com. Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.
California Academy of Sciences - 23 months ago