Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP), Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, Quantitative Sciences and Data Management Branch located in Atlanta, Georgia.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M3-13-794488 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Background investigation required.
Educational Requirement must be met
DUTIES: Back to top
If selected, the incumbent will recommend priorities for economic evaluations (cost analysis, cost-benefit cost- effectiveness, and cost-utility) and policy assessments of HIV prevention; collaborate with program managers and operatives, other scientists, public health experts and officials, and others in the analysis, interpretation, publication and dissemination of findings. Acts as an advisor and consultant in regard to cost-analysis, cost-benefit, cost-effectiveness, and cost-utility to scientists and a variety of individuals, groups, and organizations working to prevent HIV; provides leadership and technical assistance for the development of research and evaluation projects; study methodology, and assessment of the cost-effectiveness of interventions; provides technical assistance to facilitate the implementation of study protocols in research settings. Provides leadership developing new and innovative approaches to studying the economics of HIV prevention including, but not limited to, cost studies, cost-effectiveness studies, and resource allocation tools. Incumbent serves as subject matter expert for economics research in HIV. Serves on economic committees and work groups by providing guidance, recommendations and authoritative advice on directions and objectives. Also, serves as a primary resource on economic evaluation issues, measuring the integrity of assessment findings; and representing the Team/Branch/Division in meetings with program officials, representatives from other federal agencies or components of CDC, officials from all levels of government, public health experts, and others. Conducts in-depth analyses of data and prepares a variety of technical and non-technical reports, including manuscripts for publication in the peer-reviewed literature.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in the design of cost collection instruments and cost-effectiveness models; the collection of primary cost data and oversight of primary cost data collection; the extraction of cost estimates from published literature, reports and databases and the reporting of cost-effectiveness findings and methodological advances in cost collection and cost-effectiveness analyses in peer-reviewed journals.
Basic Qualifications A. Completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree with major study in an academic field related to economic, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
B. A combination of experience and education. Coursework is equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/ .
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees . Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: May be authorized
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Travel required with position: Yes, 5% Domestic
11. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
12. Research position: No
13. Promotion potential: No
14. Supervisory position: No
15. Student Loan Repayment Program: May be authorized
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Knowledge of the various theoretical approaches to economic evaluation and policy analysis.
2. Ability to analyze data and provide assistance and consultation to others.
3. Knowledge of economic evaluation and public health literature and related sciences.
4. Knowledge of oral communication.
5. Knowledge of written communication.
6. Skill in performing a variety of cost and cost-effectiveness analyses.
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc .
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov ).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - 19 months ago
- 1 day ago
- 4 days ago
Asst Professor - TT
- 1 day ago